Premed 101 Forums

Pay deposit at UC, problems at U of A?

So crazy as it might be, I still haven't chosen which school to attend -- U of C or U of A. Seeing as the deadline for submitting the UC deposit is this Monday, I was thinking of just paying it and then having an extra week to decide (trust me, that extra time will help me!). It is only $500 after all. But I remember reading somewhere that U of A will know if you have been accepted at any other universities (something about them sharing information) and promptly remove you from their acceptance list if they find out have have accepted elsewhere.

Does this $500 deposit count as an acceptance to UC that the U of A will see and therefore provide grounds to remove me from their list? If so, I don't think I want to pay UC because I'm stronly leaning towards U of A at this point... Please advise!

Thanks alot!

i sure hope not. that would make no sense because you haven't accepted the spot at U of A until you send your stuff in. At this point you have offers which are non-binding. that would be grossly unfair and if not stated anywhere (i have never seen this) it would be an illegitimate process

Does this $500 deposit count as an acceptance to UC that the U of A will see and therefore provide grounds to remove me from their list? If so, I don't think I want to pay UC because I'm stronly leaning towards U of A at this point... Please advise!

Thanks alot!

I don't believe so, as there are individuals who do this if they are waitlisted at their school of choice but have been accepted to a different school.

There is courtesy, however, to let the Admissions office know as early as possible so that they can move the waitlist up.

Good luck!

Archived