Premed 101 Forums

New Dean?

hey so I see on the website that the current Dean - Dr. Marrie is leaving and being replaced by a new guy from England

http://www.expressnews.ualberta.ca/article.cfm?id=10041

how do you think this will play out for the students if at all? has any met with him?

Welcome to February of this year ;)

The English medical education system is somewhat different than the ones in North America. Class sizes, for example, are vastly larger in the UK than they are here.

Nice guy, well spoken.

From the little I know of him, I believe his claim to fame is his perspective on creating research centres that can easily translate research into clinically relevant treatments, methods, and technologies. This means bringing together interdisciplinary teams and hospitals to have a similar vision and goal in bringing about good translational research. I think he was pretty excited about the new 'Edmonton Clinic' (an clinic emphasizing interdisciplinary education among health care practitioners) being constructed across the street from our brand new medical building.

He has high hopes for the U of A, and seems to believe we can become a top notch school worldwide given (among other things) our envious economic situation (compared to the rest of the country and the world), and our basic science and medical research reputation. The goal of the school is to become one of the top 20 universities in the world by 2020, and he seems to be on board with that.

The goal of the school is to become one of the top 20 universities in the world by 2020, and he seems to be on board with that.

when people say that, I consider going to UofA over Dal, omg I really need to make the decision soon :eek:

would that matter for the undergraduate medical education though ?

I think SK is currently has the envious economic situation---the only province with a real surplus this year....also, with the oil prices plateauing around $58-60/barrel it is hard to remain in an envious state for long, considering the Obama administration has passed a legislation on sand oils, making AB's oil sales to the US very difficult, unless environmentally appropriate steps are undertaken; a challenging measure apparently....In fact, in health care alone, AB had a Huge deficit. Stelmach has been cutting hospital and budget to various sectors of the health care....BUT, we have to remain hopeful that AB regains its economic supremacy...

on a different note, isn't it interesting that UA has recruited so many Dr's from Manchester? Dr. Bangal(? at the interviews) and now the new dean....conspiracy theory....lol

From the little I know of him, I believe his claim to fame is his perspective on creating research centres that can easily translate research into clinically relevant treatments, methods, and technologies. This means bringing together interdisciplinary teams and hospitals to have a similar vision and goal in bringing about good translational research. I think he was pretty excited about the new 'Edmonton Clinic' (an clinic emphasizing interdisciplinary education among health care practitioners) being constructed across the street from our brand new medical building.

He has high hopes for the U of A, and seems to believe we can become a top notch school worldwide given (among other things) our envious economic situation (compared to the rest of the country and the world), and our basic science and medical research reputation. The goal of the school is to become one of the top 20 universities in the world by 2020, and he seems to be on board with that.

Where did you get that prediction from? I have been reading very closely on these issues, over the past few months, there have been numerous projection of the oil prices plateauing around 60 dollar mark. Unless some dramatic event occurs, such as a war in middle east, the oil prices will stay around that range. Furthermore, the OPEC oil cuts do not yield significant effects, as despite the reduction in supply, the demand is at best on par or lower.....Economics/BBC have a few good articles on these issues, check them out...

cheers

mmm...i think Alberta is still the place to be. Oil is forcasted to go up to $200 a barrel in the next year due to production changes in Saudi arabia. I think that'll benefit the province and Canada immensely.

yeah....I have heard the same 60-70/barrel thing numerous times too...Alberta is having a bit of a trouble economy wise, but it will get better and more money will be injected into our health care soon hopefully also , the world is a very unpredictable place...so tomorrow morning, after a sudden war, we might go back to a 200 dollar oil prices/bucket :P jk...lets hope that won't happen ever:)

I think UofA loves guys with a British accent, haha, maybe I should've tried it at my interview, so I would have not been on the IP WL now...

Where did you get that prediction from? I have been reading very closely on these issues, over the past few months, there have been numerous projection of the oil prices plateauing around 60 dollar mark. Unless some dramatic event occurs, such as a war in middle east, the oil prices will stay around that range. Furthermore, the OPEC oil cuts do not yield significant effects, as despite the reduction in supply, the demand is at best on par or lower.....Economics/BBC have a few good articles on these issues, check them out...

cheers

I think SK is currently has the envious economic situation---the only province with a real surplus this year....also, with the oil prices plateauing around $58-60/barrel it is hard to remain in an envious state for long, considering the Obama administration has passed a legislation on sand oils, making AB's oil sales to the US very difficult, unless environmentally appropriate steps are undertaken; a challenging measure apparently....In fact, in health care alone, AB had a Huge deficit. Stelmach has been cutting hospital and budget to various sectors of the health care....BUT, we have to remain hopeful that AB regains its economic supremacy...

on a different note, isn't it interesting that UA has recruited so many Dr's from Manchester? Dr. Bangal(? at the interviews) and now the new dean....conspiracy theory....lol

Yeah, there are actually a LOT of profs and physicians from the UK here in Edmonton. It is kinda bizarre, actually. Apparently, something happened a few decades ago that prompted a big number of them to come to Edmonton of all places.

And, for Dr Do, considering Dal and U of A... our former dean is going to Dal next year to become dean of their medical school :) But, both Dal and U of A seem to have good reputations both domestically and internationally (if reputation is an important factor for you).

Will the whole 'Top 20 by 2020' thing matter for undergrad med education? Maybe, maybe not. It may increase our reputation, and maybe we can recruit some good teachers and leaders in different fields, but maybe not. We may not even achieve this lofty goal - you know how these things are sometimes spun way out of proportion...

At the end of the day, U of A has an excellent med school, and so does Dal. Other factors, such as where you'd like to do residency or where your family lives, may end up being far more important in making your decision.

cheers

read yesterdays news, you'll see where i get the figures from. it is amazing how much can change in a day.

Archived