Premed 101 Forums

Importance of publications

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and I have come across a few discussions on the importance of publications for grad school applicants. Anyone here have any insight from the last application cycle?

I am currently completing my PhD at U of T and I'm applying to U of T and Mac med school in the fall. I have one publication from an undergrad co-op term and I'm hoping to have 2 first-author pubs from my PhD (1 submitted soon and 1 in progress) by application deadline but they might be delayed.

Thanks!

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and I have come across a few discussions on the importance of publications for grad school applicants. Anyone here have any insight from the last application cycle?

I am currently completing my PhD at U of T and I'm applying to U of T and Mac med school in the fall. I have one publication from an undergrad co-op term and I'm hoping to have 2 first-author pubs from my PhD (1 submitted soon and 1 in progress) by application deadline but they might be delayed.

Thanks!

definitely important

vital if ur undergrad gpa is mediocre

I think they are very important if you are applying from graduate school. Harder to attain through a master's, but vital from a PhD applicant (especially if you are at the end of your degree).

As always, if it's been submitted to a journal, definitely list them in your CV/autobiographical sketch.

Don't forget to add abstracts, conference presentations, etc. These are other indications of productivity.

Good luck!

Thanks!

I know they are important, so I am really trying to have at least the first accepted by the deadline, and the other submitted. I just wondered if it might be a flag where they wouldn't consider the rest of the application if pubs weren't fantastic. I'll try this year with what I have and if it doesn't work out, the pubs will be sorted out by the next cycle.

What's the rush! :)

I would assume that they are pretty essential, especially as a PhD applicant.

I remember when I applied to Ottawa, we could only put on our biographical sketch papers that were either published or accepted, but not submitted. I did not go through the grad applicant process though, so I am not sure if people who got the grad review package were then able to list papers that were submitted.

So I would double check with the schools you are applying to what their policy is regarding status of papers. Of course, you can only do what you can do, so all I you can do this year is apply and see how it goes.

Archived