Premed 101 Forums

What schools provide the best chance?

Hi.

I am a 4th year UBC student majoring in Cell Biology and Genetics program and I am interested in applying for medical school in the next cycles. I have read around the forums and the admissions sites but I am still having trouble narrowing down which schools I can apply to besides UBC with a good chance of getting in. I realize that OOP standards are much higher than IP.

My stats:

MCAT: 30R - 10/10/10

Overall GPA %: 85.8

Last 60 credits GPA%: 88.2%

Pre-requisite GPA %: 83.9%

Last 2 years (60 credits) GPA: 3.86

Top credits (U of T weighting) GPA: 3.87

Non-academics:

-Housebuilding with Habitat for Humanity.

-Travelling to Europe (2x for competitive soccer tournaments, exhibitions), Cuba, S. America.

-1 year research experience.

-Volunteer with homeless shelter, Vancouver General Hospital, Volunteer Fire Brigade, Science World.

-12 years of competitive level soccer, representing province and top amateur men's level (currently).

-Involvement in several clubs (no managerial positions however).

*I am wondering how long ago your non-academic qualifications can be from? Just from university?

I think that I am competitive for UBC and maybe a decent shot at U of C and U of A, saskatchewan/manitoba (although I don't really want to live there) but what are my chances for Ontario schools and realistically, the ones listed above? I know my MCAT is nothing spectacular but it is my first attempt..I could take it again if I had to. My main concern is a low overall GPA because of a poor first year (3.3GPA although 81%)...adding to 3.72cGPA

Thanks for the help!

You are good to go for U/T, just do a great essay and have your LORs lined up, Queen's, Mac at least. Non-academic activities/qualifications are of interest in ON from age 16, although the closer to now, the more relevance. Take a look at the OMSAS Booklet. You are aware, this is entirely a lottery, so buy as many tickets as possible, once you enter in ON, each new ticket is $75. Best of luck.

As rule there is no specific Ontario advantage for in province applicants. Some regional advantages exist (swomen, and I think Ottawa has one) but those aren't province wide. So you shouldn't think you are disadvantaged if you are outside of Ontario - its actually the other way around :)

I would agree with applying to Queens, Mac, Toronto, and you will have to look more closely at year by year breakdown of GPA to see if Ottawa is a good place to apply (I suspect it very well could be though). You are just shy of the MCAT cut offs at Western though as you need an 11 in bio I believe - but I would be not be in a big hurry to rewrite the mcat just for one school.

For U of Sask I'm fairly sure the OOP requirements are in the 90's, and if I remember correctly its a really easy application based mainly (only?) on grades pre-interview so I would count this school out. Also, I had similar stats as you and at U of A I didn't get an interview, but I would still apply if I were you!

I would apply to as many schools that you can afford.

Even though many consider 3.72cGPA to be on the lower side, you never know what could happen. For ontario schools (which I am most familiar with), some do not consider IP or OOP and some have weighting formulas that will forgive you for a lower 1st year GPA. If you have the money, apply everywhere where you meet the GPA & MCAT cutoff. You never know where you may get an interview from.

However, this is just my opinion. I would want to maximize my chances, which means spending the money to send out my app to as many schools as I have the pre-reqs for.

u have a good chance at toronto and ottawa I think, but sask requires 90+ for oop or 92.4 for last cycle if I remembered correctly, so don't have too much hope for that one

yup that is right, its a bit insane :)they really have to update their guide on that - its say something like 88%+ or higher, but that is just not true.

I interviewd there this year - it is a great school, and if you can get an interview the OOP acceptance rate is very high.

Thanks guys. Fortunately, I'm not too disappointed with Manitoba and Saskatchewan because those are really the last places I'd like to live. Will my mediocre MCAT hinder me at all in any of the other schools mentioned or is it mostly used for cutoffs?

asked and answered:p

Hey OP, I would apply to as many as you can possible (cuz a lot of this depend on luck&chance) but for sure apply for U of A and U of C (if you have the prereqs... dunno how strict it is this year, so check the admission page religiously). The reason I am saying this is they have larger class size compared to some other schools, and as a OOP you will likely have better chance of getting interview/accepted if the school take in more OOP students. Good luck.

Archived