Premed 101 Forums

Howdy folks, first time poster here. Made it in to the class of 2013 and have a question for ya'll.

I'm wondering if anybody can give advice on whether the U of A has any requirements for our laptops? I'm currently using a 2 year old Acer that I bought for about $550, which got me through the last two years in undergrad. I don't think it'll get me through the four years of med school though, so I'm looking to upgrade. Thoughts?

Ya, I had been thinking Mac for it's dual boot functionality (that way there's still the option to run Windows). I'd have to make the leap to Mac though, I've been a PC guy my whole life.

I've never been able to locate the source of supposed superiority. I remember at my undergrad, there'd be like 30 PCs and 20 Macs in every computer lab, and every single PC and maybe 2 Macs would be taken. The IT guys would always pitch them to us, but whenever I've tried them, I found that the most recent Mac would be slower and more annoying to operate than the 2-year-old PCs they had.

I have an Acer right now as well, and it's given me unbelievable amounts of grief. A terrible quality computer and atrocious customer service. I've had 2 Sonys and a Dell before, and both brands worked great for me. I think I'm gonna get a Sony later this summer.

Is it cheaper to buy a mac from the university bookstore?

Yes! They offer the Apple student discount (~200/250 dollars cheaper) on the actual laptop, and they offer student licensed copies of microsoft office (=1/3 of the normal price), and I got the Apple Care Protection Plan cheaper too...plus iPod deal if you buy it before September (or whenever the offer goes to).

And as far as changing from PC only to Mac (which I did this last term), it was seamless. All my files copied right over, I still use Microsoft office products (word,excel,ppt) and it's so easy to use. Better battery life than I've EVER had on PC (compare 3 hrs at low screen and wireless turned off [PC] versus 7 hours under the same conditions, or 5 hours using the wireless airport [Mac]), plus built in camera, microphone etc. is fun. And NO VIRUSES/SPYWARE. and iLife makes things so simple...anyways, I'm done;)

there's no requirements whatsoever. theoretically you could do it with a desktop, or without a computer at all if you have access to a public one.

as for tablets/fancy equipment, if you intend on using the functionality, fine. if not, you look a bit of a tool. but no matter, it's your dime.

i hear homer web is being upgraded (macs only work with homer web, not homer desktop), which means there will be less difference between homer on mac vs pc. even the old homer web was enough to get everything done. don't worry about homer accessibility.

as for battery life.. there's power outlets at every chair in Katz 1080, and usually there's one available in the small group rooms as well. at the risk of starting a flame war, try not to have a big tall laptop screen open in front of you at all times whilst in a small group, it's a physical barrier, and reading off a laptop screen doesn't make you any more correct or sound any smarter, thanks.

Archived