Premed 101 Forums

To Mayflower

Guest ozymandiasking29

Guest ozymandiasking29

Hi Peter,

You mentioned in one of your previous posts (I think it was in the U of O forum, but I'm not sure) that one of the reasons you preferred school X was because it had a high rate of people who received a first choice residency match. I've been trying to find this info for some of the schools but I'm not sure where it's available. Would you let me know how you got the info? Thanks so much.

I took a look at the stats posted on the website and here's what I found:

In terms of the breakdown per school, for the % of students that were UNMATCHED, mcmaster had the lowest % of unmatched (1%) and calgary was next (1.4%).

Is this accurate of the matching rankings or are there better stats to look at? I can't help but notice that both these school are 3 yr programs...I'm not sure about Mac but I know calg has a smaller class sizr (100 ppl), I'm wondering if that plays a role here....

Guest aneliz

Whenever you're dealing with a small group, percentage isn't always the best number to look at...(1% unmatched at UofT is more people unmatched then 1% unmatched at Queens is...)

I don't think that any med school is "better" in terms of matching then any other...it is dependent on you, your goals and what you do during your electives...You are ultimately in control of your chances of matching regardless of what school you attended. It is kind of like your chances of getting into med are dependent on your undergrad performance regardless of where you did your undergrad.

You also need to be careful in looking at the raw % unmatched numbers...people at different schools tend to match into different specialties and different cities - some schools really favour family med, while others are filled with surgical subspecialty keeners....some graduating classes like to 'stay home' for residency, while others match to other cities...schools may have very different match/unmatch rates and be no reflection on the 'quality' of the students there....it may just be a reflection of what that graduating class' career goals and city preferences were relative to the number and distribution of residency spots in Canada.

Guest MayFlower1

aneliz,

Good points about the match statistics. I have primarily used it as a means of seeing what schools focus on by looking at matches and vacancies after first match as a function of specialty across various institutions. This can give you a hint with respect to the emphasis at any particular school...and therefore, depending on your specialty interest, where you might be best served during residency.

Peter

Guest aneliz

I agree with you Peter...you can use the match stats to see what career goals the current graduating class of any school had and how successful they were in getting the residency spot that they wanted....I posted what I did because I think that some people misinterpret the match stats and use them to prove something that just isn't true...(ie if I go to UofT, I will have a better chance of getting a residency spot in 'complicated surgery' then if I go to Mac)...I thought that this discussion was in serious danger of reverting to the inevitable "if I do my undergrad at UofT then I will have a better chance of getting into med school then if I go to York..." which we all know just isn't true...regardless of the breakdown of what percentage of the first year class at UofT has a UofT undergrad vs a York undergrad....

Andrea

Guest peachy

(I know this is totally irrelevant, but I just wanted to point out to all the high-schoolers reading this, since you brought it up, that the ratio of UofT undergrads getting in vs applying is EXACTLY the same as that of York undergrads: 1:7 last year at UofT)

Guest Carolyn

i would agree with most of the above but would go as far to say that it doesn't matter what school you go to -- I doubt any "focus" on any specific stream at all -- you can get into any specialty if you play the game right AND luck is on your side (if it is a highly competitive specialty -- some very competitive students still may not match as in those cases it is like med school - there are way more people qualified than spots!)...

The numbers change drastically from year to year as well... The numbers this year are VERY VERY different from last year's numbers at all schools. I think those stats will come out at the end of the month.

Guest UWOMED2005

Wasn't the overall acceptance to application ratio for applying to meds last year 1:6? Does this mean I would have been at a disadvantage applying to meds from York or U of T? :lol

JUST JOKING!!! THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO ADVANTAGE TO CHOOSING ONE SCHOOL OVER ANOTHER FOR PREMEDICAL STUDIES IN CANADA

Guest peachy

Lol! That's what the numbers were according to a presentation made by Leslie Taylor at York this year :)

... It's funny that no matter how many times you tell people that what undergraduate school you go to makes NO DIFFERENCE, people are still like "Yeah... But when it comes down to it, UofT (or UWO/Queens/etc) are going to pick their own students! You know it!" I spend a lot of time talking to high school students who are thinking of coming to York, and I can talk to them for a half hour, and they STILL just completely won't believe me.... :)

Guest ozymandiasking29

Hi,

I agree that just because you come from U of T doesn't give you an advantage in terms of being accepted, but I think that it is taken into consideration. I know someone who goes to U of T who was told by one of the people on the admissions committee that because so many people applying from a particular school (which shall remain nameless) have a 4.0 average compared to other schools including U of T, a 4.0 from that school carries less weight than from U of T. What I mean is, they know that their level of difficulty in terms of achieving a perfect gpa is higher, so they give it consideration.

Guest peachy

(a) I take statements of the form "I know somebody who knows somebody on the admissions committee" with a grain of salt.

(B) If they did that, then they'd be LIARS since they have an official statement saying that your undergraduate institution doesn't matter.

© The numbers don't support your claim. UofT students do NOT have a better application/admission ratio than other schools, unless there's some random mystical school out there which is treated differently from all others.

(d) I don't believe that there is any Canadian school where getting a 4.0 is easy.

Anyways, we can search past threads to find this discussion already. It's been done, and there's no need to rehash it. [sorry - it's entirely my fault to have reopened the question. Blah.]

Guest UWOMED2005

Actually, Peachy, getting a 4.0 at either Carleton or the University of Ottawa is really easy. . . but only because they use a 12.0 point and 10.0 point evaluation system, respectively. :b

And it sounds like U of T uses a percentage system. I don't care how much U of T students whine and complain about how hard their school is, I'm sure a U of T student sometime somewhere managed to get over 4.0%. If not, they're doing something wrong in picking their students. . . if that's the case, no wonder they don't do so well when applying to med schools in Ontario. :rollin

Guest ozymandiasking29

"I take statements of the form "I know somebody who knows somebody on the admissions committee" with a grain of salt."

You can take it as you wish but the person I know was actually among the second year medical students who read through a number of applications to decide who gets interviews. And in case you're wondering, she didn't read my application so no worries over favortism there.

"If they did that, then they'd be LIARS since they have an official statement saying that your undergraduate institution doesn't matter."

No comment on that except that they also say that your undergrad program doesn't matter, but guess what, they still check to see which courses you're taking and give preference to those who took harder courses and did well in them versus those who take bird courses. They ask their students who actually did their undergrad at U of T to identify which courses are harder/easier. My friend was actually asked to do this when she was helping to evaluate applications.

"The numbers don't support your claim. UofT students do NOT have a better application/admission ratio than other schools, unless there's some random mystical school out there which is treated differently from all others."

I don't think you understood my claim. I did not say that U of T students are favored but rather that it is accepted by those on the admissions committee that not all schools are equal. That is precisely why even though the particular school which many students come from with a 4.0 gpa is not more represented in the U of T class than other schools. Just because more of them come with 4.0 doesn't mean more of them make it.

"I don't believe that there is any Canadian school where getting a 4.0 is easy."

Maybe not, but there are definitely schools where getting a 4.0 is easier than others.

Guest GordUW

Just wanted to say that official stats at U of Waterloo last year was 27 out of 90 something applied to Med school got in, hehe, come to waterloo and get grilled!!!

(i'm sure it's because we have harder courses hhahaha)

Just chill

Guest UWOMED2005

Oh yeah? Well I think I was the only person to apply to meds from my graduating class, and I got in (I went to a small liberal arts school of 800.) 100% success rate!! So there! :b (on second thought, there may have been a second student. . . not sure, but it's still a 50% success rate!)

But seriously, where are you get this info about how many people from your school applied to medicine, and how many got in? I never saw such info for my school.

Archived