Premed 101 Forums

Would Grade 12 High School Physics suffice as physics knowledge for the MCAT?

equus

Do I need to take physics in university to have enough knowledge to do well on the MCAT, or would grade 12 physics suffice? I own a grade 12 physics textbook that I could use to study with. I just don't think I'm going to be able to fit in a physics course before I write the exam.

Grade 12 physics is enough. However, you should definately look over it again. Get the EK book.

In high school and in university classes, you memorize equations and concepts. The MCAT does not test what you can memorize. The MCAT tests how well you can think by asking you what you understand and how you can apply the stuff you've memorized. Just memorizing the equations and the facts is usually not enough for the MCAT; you have to understand what it means, and why it is that way.

In comparing EK, PR, and Kaplan which books are the best for someone with no university physics

EK is best. PR and Kaplan tend to have way too much material than what is needed. EK is straight to the point, and tells you exactly what you need to know. The only negative about EK is that there are not enough practice questions, so you'd have to supplement with some AAMC practice tests.

I found that high school physics and the first year physics courses at University covered pretty much the same material.

It should be fine, so long as you remember it well. Watch out for things like optics and shearing, though, cause I definitely didn't learn them in high school.

Archived