Premed 101 Forums

Cost of textbooks and equipment in first two years

I found this discussion for a UWO class. Are the costs comparable for UA?

I understand we'll be receiving a survival guide written by the upper years. How much should we expect to spend on textbooks and equipment recommended by this guide for year 1 and 2?

The prices are approximate, but I bought:

White coat - $30

Netter's - $80

Lily's (a cardio textbook) - $40

Stethoscope - probably ~$100-150, I was given one prior to starting so I'm not sure how much they actually are

Toronto Notes - $120

Dissector manual (put together by the UofA students, includes all the dissections you go through in the 2 years. I go through this with Netter's to learn anatomy outside of class) - $40

Bates guide to physical exam - $30 is how much I got it for, it's more like $100.

I also bought a few neuro texts b/c that's what I'm interested in, but that's all I got. Most people bought a few more than that (ECG book, Obs/Gyn text, Anatomy flash cards, maybe 2-3 more) but I use my computer for everything so I just found online material to help me and saved a lot of money. I probably spent around $400 overall.

What people should try to do is wait a little bit before buying to many texts - a lot of upper year students sell theirs off for cheaper, even if slightly used they're still very usable.

i didn't read through the entire survival guide... i agree with most of icebox's costs. i don't know the year 2 costs though.

stethoscope - depends what model you get, we are offered deals from both Littman and .. some other company.. the most popular steth is Littman's cardiology III, i got it at the beginning of this year for about $160, which is the standard student deal

-Many of the courses are done electronically via HOMER, including anatomy dissectors. You can just print the course materials off.

-Lilly's (heart disease), an EKG book, and Netter's atlas of anatomy are the only books you really need. I bought Gray's Anatomy as well, but haven't used it very much.

-Toronto Notes will probably be more useful for the end of 2nd year when you write a comp exam.

-Bates or any other physical exam guide - unless you graduated with honors from Keeners' university college, you don't need this (and it probably won't make much sense) until you cover it in Gilbert's scholars or if you've learned it before. you can get one to have if you really want.. i still don't have one.

Archived