Premed 101 Forums

Any graduate students receive interview invites?

Guest Spritzer5

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Bone Gal,

Ick. :\ (It seems like today is a bit of an ick day for a bunch of folk here; it's like the Black Monday of meds applications--must be the frost outside.)

Your academic application sounds really great, so perhaps it was something a little more subjective that stopped you from hopping the UofT bar this year? For example, the first year I applied to UofT I felt that my essay was quite strong; however, when I received some feedback from the admissions office, they told me that it was the essay that was the downfall. I was a little surprised. Perhaps for next year, if you're considering re-applying you might review those, more subjectively assessed parts of the application?

If you're applying elsewhere this year, good luck!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Bone Gal

Thanks Kirsteen!

You are awesome! UofT doesn't know the good people they are sifting out! I have applied to a couple of other schools so I will cross my fingers for those! How and when do I go about finding out feedback on my application? I thought I had a strong essay as well, but that could easily have been my downfall....who knows?!? The tricky part of the application is not knowing what the admin committee thinks of you! Also, who would I talk to in order to pry some useful info out of them (with regards to application feedback). Thanks so much!

All the best,

A.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again Bone Gal,

Ah, good stuff regarding the other schools! Do you mind if I ask which ones you're awaiting the word from?

As to feedback from UofT, I'm not confident in saying that it'll be easy to get any from them this year. I originally received the essay feedback from Bill Gregg himself two years ago; then when I contacted him last year he had a little bit of a different approach, i.e., a verbal, "we have no time to give personal feedback". It seems that this year that mandate was cast in a more solid material as a statement pretty much along those, "it is impossible for us to provide personal feedback", appeared in the rejection letter itself. However, it's worth a shot, giving them a shout (perhaps, in June/July, if the reason for your UofT rejection is still haunting you) and seeing what they have to say; the worst that can happen is that you will receive a "no".

Cheers and good luck with those other applications,

Kirsteen

P.S. You know, and this is not at all stemming from grapes that are sour (;) ) but sometimes I hope that UofT's admissions office will become a little more helpful. If I had to rank the quality, usefulness and pleasure of interactions with Canadian (heck, and some American) medical school admissions offices, I'm afraid that many others would fly by UofT on their way to the top of that list. I think, somehow, it could behoove the UofT admissions office to be a little more genteel and compliant in their interactions with applicants.

Guest Biochem10

Bone Gal, I'm sorry to hear about your rejection, reading your post you sound like a highly qualified candidate. I agree with Kirsteen about reviewing your essay, that's a pretty important part of the application package at U of T. I actually had about ten people read mine before handing it in, including a physician who gave me a lot of constructive feedback. So, I guess the bottom line is to review your essay and may be your references (although I'm not sure with how much weight U of T looks at these). I'm positive you'll get a shot at another school, don't give up if this is what you really want to do.

P.s. Kirsteen, I'm also sorry to hear that you will not be getting a shot at med school this year, however, you seem to have a lot of options for the upcoming year. Unfortunetly med school applications are not always a fair process, but I'm sure your persistence will pay off in the end.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi Biochem10,

Thanks for your shot in the arm.

Ten reviewers for your essay though--wow! That's pretty impressive. Did you find that your essay morphed substantially between the beginning and the end of the process?

I hope that you end up with the freedom to select between McGill and UT this year, and when you do choose one, I hope you don't mind if I give your brain a wee knock later in the year to garner some insights, as I think I'll be heading the MD/PhD route once again.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest habra

Hi guys,

Although I have not heard from UofT yet, I would not be surprised if I get rejected this week. I had a similar conversation with Bill Greg last year. They did not send me anything till july. I called the admissions office and he said we don't have the resources to give individual feedback to each student. But to his credit he did look at my file on the computer and told me that my MCAT held me back (I had a seven last year in verbal). Bone GAL did you have any problems with the MCAT? if so that will definitely make or break an application as far as invitation for an interview goes. But otherwise I agree that your application is strong. I am sure once you get your papers published they would look at you much more favorably. Although I do know several people that finished their masters and got into medical school without any papers. So if you do get papers published that is icing on the cake. Kirsteen I did get rejected from Calgary and I wrote them and they will send me a letter explaining why I got rejected at least that is what Adele said. If you also applied there if ask them in writing to provide feedback they will do that. So although I applied to 12 schools this year, it comes down to UofT and Ottawa.

I also agree that reviewing your essays etc is very very important.

So guys (Kirsteen and Bone Gal) don't give up. Applying to medical school is like tipping over a coke machine you got to rock it back and forth a couple of times before it falls over (Seinfeld analogy :) ) so hang in there. Reflect and apply with a stronger application next year.

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there habra,

Try to think positively with respect to UofT and UofO. It isn't over yet. Thanks for the tip re: Calgary.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Bone Gal

Hi habra,

My MCATs were alright. The lowest score I had was in verbal which was a 9. I think that would have been sufficient enough?

I worked really hard on my essay as well (over the course of a couple of months?) and I had many people read over it and critique it, including medical school students. Last year I had applied to McMaster and scored in the 99.8th percentile in the autobiographical sketch. If that is any indication of how well my writing and communication skills are.......then I really don't know what is lacking in the application. Hopefully my Mac and Ottawa U application will bring me luck.

It is a hard journey but I am sure it will be worth it. Although, sometimes I do find it difficult to keep faith. I will leave you with one of my favourite quotes.

Happiness is impossible, and even inconceivable, to a mind without scope and without pause, a mind driven by craving, pleasure or fear. To be happy, you must be reasonable, or you must be tamed. YOu must have taken the measure of your powers, tasted the fruits of your passion, and learned your place in the world and what things in it can really serve you. To be happy, you must be wise. ~ George Santayana

Toodles,

A.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Bone Gal,

I've never read of a Mac sketch being graded that highly. Surely that score, plus your solid academics afforded you an interview at Mac last year? With respect to the UofT essay, there are many ways in which what you say may be looked, perceived or felt. Also, are you certain that all your references were glowing? I cannot see too many other places that would represent chinks in your application armour.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Biochem10

hi Kirsteen,

My essay didn't change too much throughout the review process, however, some of my friends were good at pointing out key things I was missing. For instance, a little introductory paragraph or more non-academic stuff. The first time someone gave me feedback, they said it didn't represent 'my other sides', it was way too academic. Anyway, I'll be happy to talk to you in the future about the program should I be so lucky to get an acceptance. I'll let you know what happens. take care.

Guest habra

Well I was butt of a cruel joke by the admissions office. I get this big and thick white envelope from UofT med school only to find out that it was the new faculty of medicine magazine"Utoronto Medicine volume 1 issue 1" for alumni and friends. I could not believe it and then I started laughing in the lobby of my building in front of my mail box. I have been thinking about it all day and smiling to myself. And have come to the conclusion it will happen when it happens. If not this year then next.

Bone GAL it sounds like you have just had some bad luck and I think your have a pretty good shot just hang in there.

A word of advice from my experience today, if you get a big thick envelope from UoFT med school don't get to excited it might be a newsletter.

I felt like writing them and asking them not to send this to me. But then I started reading it and it had a few nice and informative articles in it. Anyway today was a fun day.

ciao

Guest Bone Gal

Kirsteen,

Yes, I did get an interview at McMaster last year, but it didn't go over so well......so here I am again......waiting for those big envelopes.

The tutorial section of the Mac interview was a lot tougher than I had anticipated. The discussion was very awkward because everyone was on their 'tippy toes' as not to step on anyone else's toes. I also found that if you were the last one to chip in your two cents (with regards to the group evaluation), everything had basically been covered by the previous 5 people who spoke before you. It was an extremely pleasant experience, too bad it didn't work out!

As to my rejection from UofT, I am pretty much over it by now. I mean, what can I do now except concentrate on what the future lies? You should have seen the funniest expression on my supervisor's face this morning when I told him the news! I had a nice chat with him which made me feel much better. Maybe my referees liked me so much in research that they want me to stay in research forever! :P

Anyway, I am sure things will work out for all of us.....they always do...

Cheers,

A.

Guest Guess whoz Bizzak

Hey Habra: funny thing happened to me too. I got home and checked my mail,a nd sure enough there was a thin envelope from U of T. I immediately inferred that it was a rejection letter, and felt a little upset, but then I read the front of the envelope, and it was from the Alumni Association!! Guess I was too much on edge when checking the mail. It did add for a little comic relief for my poor dad though:)

Bone Gal: I too had an essay percentile ranking around 99%, and got the interview. As with you, it was the group interview that seemed to have roasted me (33%ile!!). I think I may have been a little too administrative in nature (I am a health care administrator after all!!), and was very knowldegeable about the topic, so may have over emphasized my points. My essay changed slightly this year to include some other experiences, but not sure if it will be ranked nearly as high as last year. We will have to wait and see, but I did have a great time at the interview last year. I got a rejection from U of T last year too pre-interview, but since have published a couple of health services research papers since. We'll see what happens there as well, but I think the fact that I have a course based masters may not put me to the top of the list.

Good luck guys with the rest of your applications. I wish the universities could outsource their mailings to the owls of Harry Potter, cause that would prove much more efficient!!

~JZ

Guest Kirsteen

Hey guys,

That's painful, re: those UofT mailings! Perhaps it's a very clever strategy of theirs; perhaps they know that every scrap of mail bearing the UofT insignia will be ripped open immediately and with gusto at this time of year? ;)

Guess whoz Bizzak, do you happen to study at UofT? I know a fair number of people in the field in which you've published and I'm quite interested in that area, myself. Do you mind if I ask what type of research you conducted, specifically?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Guess whoz Bizzak

Hi Kirsteen,

nah, I didn't go to U of T for my Masters. I did my undergrad there, and decided to go to Dalhousie University because of the option to do a combined MHSA/MBA. I thoroughly enjoyed the program, the university and the city. Upon graduating I landed a higher level management position here at Baycrest,a nd have been happy here since. My plan has always been to be a physician with both clinical and administrative duties - I wish to advocate for the patient not only in the capacity as a physician, but also at the high level policy making table as an administrator. My research includes designing an alternate funding plan for LTC facilities across Canada, discussing and developing a DNR policy for LTC facilities in Nova Scotia, discussing the integration (or lack thereof) of LTC services provincially across Canada, evidence based decision making in health services administration, performance measurement in health care, and the movement towards an elder friendly workplace. Needless to say, my passion is geriatrics and long-term care :)

If you are interested in the field, I encourage you to pursue it. The MHSc program at U of T is excellent, and will soon become a combined program with the MD degree. Feel free to email me at any time.

~JZ

Guest habra

Wow your background is pretty interesting. So I guess you are gearing towards being a hospital administrator once you are done right?

It is interesting to see so many people with different backgrounds apply to medicine. I was just thinking that if all of the people on this panel got accepted the class would be so diverse in the backgrounds and that everyone would learn from their classmates.

Hey I was just wondering whether you would know where one could go to read more about the structure of Canada's Health Care Delivery and potential problems with it. I guess the Romano report would be a good starting point to learn more about it right?

any comments anyone?

ciao

Guest Guess whoz Bizzak

Hey Habra...

actually, I don't really wanna be a hospital administrator at all - I want to be a doctor who has an understanding of how things work administratively so that I can influence change in the system that best reflects the needs and concerns of my patients. I think that by having the dual background (i.e. MD and MHSA/MBA), I will be able to play this dual role.

In terms of info about the health care system...health canada website has a ton of information about different initiatives and gaps, and the romanow report executive summary should be ample. The newspaper also has many articles on health care-scan the Toronto Star online for instance.

~JZ

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Guess whoz Bizzak,

Your background does sound very interesting and it's great that you're making such strides at Baycrest. (Incidentally, I ran "your" 10K two years ago and raised just over $500 for you--I hope you've put it to good use! ;) )

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest MedsWannabe

Hello,

if it makes you feel better I'm a U of T reject also. MCATs were fine (even had a 10 in the dreaded verbal), am doing my MSc at U of T currently, have several publications, including first author, and I just got word that I'm interviewless :eek

And then they add in this line about not contacting them for information as to why your interview was rejected, and then they wish you luck in your future and send you on your way *sigh*. So you're not the only GRAD STUDENT applicant that was sent off on their way-- especially annoying since they say you need a 3.0 GPA to apply as a grad student, and they take publications, etc, into account (my GPA was well over that, as well, and I also have a U of T scholarship currently- so I didn't think the school would hate me this much!).

So you're not alone *<big comfort hug>*.

Guest Chieka

mtws, I'm also waiting to hear from U of T.... and Mac too. What's taking these schools so long? :P

Ha ha. Maybe I should just relax, eh? No news is good news...

c.

Guest cause2003

I'm still waiting too. So what does it take to get an interview as a grad student? It sounds like some pretty good applicants have heard bad news already.

Later

Guest MedsWannabe

<it sounds like some pretty good applicants have heard bad news already. >

*Yes, but don't let me discourage you! I should also tell you, a friend of mine with a decent undergrad GPA, who is doing her MSc with me right now, got a U of T interview, and her MCATS were VR 8 (yes 8, not 9 which U of T says is required), PS 10 BS 9 WS: N... and she's about the same profile as me, publication wise....

I have faith that you'll get interviews.. remember- U of T interviews in "batches" (they told me this when I called), and these batches are random. I had a friend last year who didn't interview until May-ish, when his batch was called.... so don't fret if you haven't heard yet!

No news is still good news, I promise! Just because I haven't gotten an interview, doesn't mean you all won't--I obviously did something wrong- you're not all in my boat. Keep the faith- I do know people getting interviews. Just wait for your batch!

Archived