Premed 101 Forums

Any graduate students receive interview invites?

Guest Spritzer5

Guest Chieka

Medswannabe, thanks for the encouragement. ;)

U of T allows one MCAT section to be below the cut-offs. That would explain your friend's interview invitation.

C.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest MedsWannabe

That makes sense. I thought perhaps she just flew under the radar :)

I do want to add that a couple of my grad friends are getting interviews, and I doubt they're any 'better' applicants than you guys-- so hang in there, the good news will come!

Guest Bone Gal

Hey MedsWannabe,

I have been at UofT for 6 years (both undergrad and Masters) and I can tell you that the administration if totally weird! I was fully funded for my MSc but they made me jump through hoops to get the scholarships! First they wouldn't give me an application for NSERC, OGS, nor OGSST.....coz they said my grades were too low....then my supervisor called them up to ask them why they wouldn't give me an application.....eventually I got the papers and applied.....and got the scholarship! But just because I did poorly in one class in UNDERGRAD (Genetic Engineering), they blacklisted me for life!

UofT is a great school (I had a really pleasant and rewarding experience doing my MSc), but the admin staff is extremely unhelpful and cold! With the exception of my departmental secretary.

So the mystery of UofT administration continues............

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there BoneGal,

That's grotty that your departmental admin staff seems to largely be unsupportive, but I must toot the horn for ours: the admin staff in the Dept. of Public Health Sciences is supreme!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Guess whoz Bizzak

Hey Kirsteen...

thanks for your participation in the Baycrest Challenge. I am not sure how the foundation has used the monies collected, but I can assure you that the level of care provided here, and the research (particularly related to brain functioning and mental health of the elderly) is at internationally recognized standards. To keep the staffing ratios so high, I am sure the foundation helps out - not to mention they have a huge capital campaign going on right now and may be hoarding funds for that. The least I know is it isn't going into salary increases!! Hope you had a good time at the 10K run and got a good sweat out of it.

~JZ

Guest MedsWannabe

<the admin staff is extremely unhelpful and cold!>

Bonegal,

I agree with that one! Didn't you like that part on our rejection letter that says not to contact/call/write/email U of T regarding your application? Very cold and unfriendly-- I know they're overwhelmed with requests as to 'what went wrong' and they can't possibly answer all of them, but geez! They tell you you're not wanted, then they basically tell you that they won't tell you why you're not wanted, so that you could improve for next year. My letter made it painfully clear that I'm never to contact them so long as I shall live! It was very final!

I did my undergrad at Queen's, so U of T admin does seem big, impersonal and unfriendly, comparitively! But at least I'm not the only grad student that isn't interviewing :(

Guest habra

I did my undergrad and masters at UofT department of pharmacology. Diana Clark (our secretary) was superb she was always helpful and courteous. Therefore I think maybe it may depend on the department that you work for (i.e. with respect to how helpful they are). The staff of the pharmacology department here at western are ok too.

But also being an undergrad student at UofT was tough. I wish I had done my undergrad at another university. I thought UofT generally was cold and impersonal as BoneGal mentioned.

Has anyone heard anything regarding your application from UofT?

I am still waiting.

see you guys.

Guest habra

Hey MedsWannabe

I would call them anyway, but wait till september. I called last year and Bill Greg was not happy about it but he answered my questions anyway. try not to call right now though as they are very busy. They used to allow people to make appointments to actually go through the file with the applicant. So try to call in september when the class is full and they are at the end of the application cycle. If I get rejected that is when i plan to call them. But you also have to be careful and diplomatic about it and not piss them off. I actually talked to Bill Greg and Leslie Taylor on two occasions last year. Leslie is super nice and answered all my questions. Greg was ok. so try calling Leslie in september even if they say dont call us.

cheers

Guest medwant2b

cause2003 asked about the numbers:

I can't answer the question they asked... but I asked about the numbers a while ago. In 2001 the number of graduate applications was approximately 450. If I remember correctly, of that number, approximately 90 interviewed and approximately 45 accepted. The odds for grads that year were roughly similar to the tough ones the undergrads faced.

I got an invite early this week--will be interviewing on April 11th.

Good luck to those still waiting.

Guest MedsWannabe

I know Diana Clark- I almost did my MSc in pharmacology :P She is quite nice, I agree. A friend of mine (in your very faculty), got her notice of an interview at U of T just last week... :)

In fact, all of my closest friends are pharmacology MSc students... small world :)

Thanks for the advice, re: calling the schools

Guest habra

Hey Medswannabe

congratulations on the invite. May I ask if you are a masters applicant or a PHD applicant?

I am still waiting. I have an 8 in verbal but everything else is a pass. I am not sure if this verbal business is going to keep me back again or not. Last year I interviewed at Ottawa but was not invited at uoft. I am wondering if they will reject me again or not. I hate the wait at UofT. Last year they sent a rejection letter in July. I almost want to get rejected by them now and get it over with. Hey have you interviewed at UofT before. Could you share your grad stats, number of papers etc.

Thanks

Guest habra

Hi MedWannabe, sorry about the mix up I meant to write to medwants2b :)

I was confused a bit. Hey Medwannabe are you still waiting for any other schools? I am waiting for Ottawa and UofT. BTW which department at UofT are you currently doing your grad stuff. Why did you almost go to pharm but did not end up there.

Later

H

Guest MedsWannabe

heh, no problem. I got excited there thinking that someone knew I got an interview when I didn't.... :)

I'm doing my MSc in pharmsci (basically pharmacology, it's just that I got a bigger scholarship from pharmsci than pharmacology)... but my prof is cross-appointed, so most of my fellow students are pharmacology :)

Guest Chieka

I got an interview invite today. It's on April 12.

I can't believe it. I saw the small envelope, and thought, "It's here at last, the dreaded rejection." I was pleasantly surprised.

All the best to those still waiting...

C.

Guest habra

Hey Cheika

Congrats on the invite. man I hope I dont end up getting rejected late in the year again. I want that rejection now! I hate waiting. Hey for the benefit of those who are still waiting could you post your stats whether you are master or PHD etc etc. It would help us knowing where we stand. Thanks and congrats again.

H

Guest Guess whoz Bizzak

Hey Cheika,

congrats on the interview my dear. I know you will knock them dead ;)

Know I'm totally rooting for you!

~JZ

Guest Chieka

Bizzak,

Thanks for the good wishes. And congrats to you for being one of the select few Mac invitees! We may not see each other at UCONN after all. ;)

Habra,

What's this about wanting a "rejection" now? How can you be so sure? :\ Give yourself some credit, man! ;) I was sure I'd get a rejection too, but I didn't.

I don't think there is a method to the U of T madness. Some really strong students (ie. great stats) have been rejected. Some weaker students are getting invites. I'm not really sure what U of T is looking for. If you check out the faculty website you see the term "other non-academic factors" a lot. This is in addition to the LORs, essay and interview. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but I'm happy to know that they don't go by numbers alone.

Oh yeah, I am a master's student. I submitted my first semester transcripts in February, I believe. I have no publications and no other form of "research productivity."

Sit tight.

C.

Guest habra

Hi Chieka,

Thanks for the encouragment. I am a Doctoral student and my publication record is ok. I got 8 in verbal but a pass in everything else. Last year I was shafted very late in the game and it had pretty much left me in limbo. As I am writing my thesis right now I don't know how fast I should be writing and generally I find my mind to be very much preoccupied with medicine and specially UofT. But you are right all of us who have not heard yet must remain positive. After all we have not been rejected yet. Thanks for posting your stats.

Cheers and wish you a kick ass interview.

Guest medwant2b

Chieka:

Congrats on the invite. :)

I'm looking for someone for some practice interviewing. Interested?

---

cause2003 and habra:

Sorry about the delay in replying.

I'm just going to keep it general...

MCAT - made the cut-offs - some weaker sections... but also a bit of sparkle

UG GPA - if I were an UG applicant it's just in the ballpark for UT (I'm on the low side). If you just look at my life sciences courses--they are competitive.

Pubs - have a couple first authors

I finished a master's. I had a rough interview last year (ended up on the waitlist).

I think the magic in my case is the essay. In it I did my best to thoughtfully answer their questions, emphasized my unique background (biomed engin) and discussed the experiences I believe demonstrate I'm suitable for a career in medicine.

If you feel there are a few weaker spots in your app have faith; UT meds, I have the impression, finds love for different kinds of people and can look past a few rough spots if you have some shining stars.

Guest Chieka

I agree with Medwant2b. I am not a strong applicant numbers-wise, so it must be my essay that pulled me through. So, to those still waiting, be hopeful. :D

Medwant2b, where are you located?

C.

Guest laccase

Hi all, I think that non-academic part of the evaluation also includes research experience although ironically research is an academic quality practically speaking.

Guest cause2003

Thanks for the reply Chieka and medwant2b,

Hopfully that invite will come in my mailbox soon, only time will tell.

Good luck, cause

Guest medwant2b

Chieka:

I'm in Toronto.

If you're interested in some practicing, send me a private message (PM) and include in it your email address. PMing works so long you're not using an old version of Netscape (and the receiver has it enabled).

If you are using an old version of Netscape I'd recommend you get Mozilla ( www.mozilla.org ). It works properly, has tabbed browsing :):) and (if the preferences are set right) makes unwanted window resizing and pop-ups a thing of the past.

Archived