Premed 101 Forums

Any graduate students receive interview invites?

Guest Spritzer5

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't yet hold a grad degree - I'm working on one right now. I haven't heard from U of T at all, but I think it may be because I only recently submitted my first semester transcript.

C.

Grad school grad.

Submitted "proof of research productivity" a while back now.

Haven't heard a thing.

Tough to take. Last year I got an interview so I am hoping my application recieves a similar 'grade' - Not much has changed (except I'm another year older...).

Matt

Guest bearman14

Hey Guys,

I'm a grad student, and I received my invite on Monday (Feb. 17) for Mar. 30 interview (however, got it changed to earlier -- thankfully -- as I will be in the Toronto area). But I have heard rumor that there is still another (at least one) batch of applications to go through, so don't give up hope yet!

Guest ekimike

I hold a graduate degree from the UofT. I received my invitation for an inteview on January 23rd. My interview is Friday February 28th. I applied to UofT last year and did not receive an interview. Out of the 13 schools that I applied to this year, only UofT and Stanford have invited me for interviews. I was surprised to hear from UofT so early this year. I have heard that all of the 450 applicants that will be invited for an interview this year have already been selected, however, that not all people have been informed yet. Good luck to all!

-ekimike

Hi ekimike,

Just wondering where you heard this from:

I have heard that all of the 450 applicants that will be invited for an interview this year have already been selected, however, that not all people have been informed yet.

Thanks!

DHP

The applications are dealt with periodically according to computer generated (completely random) lists. The people on a particular list are either given interviews or are refused entry at different time points during the application cycle. People got interviews as late as may last year and they did not recive the invite in FEB. Please dont stress people out. If you have got an interview congratualtions. However qualify your "I heard that all invites have been selected.....".

The information that I provided here was first hand information I got last year from Ms. Taylor.

I wouldn't stress at this point....I heard nothing from UofT until the end of April last year...I interviewed on Mother's day and I got in first round....of course I decided to go to Western...No news tends to be good news (or at least not bad news)...I think that most schools tend to mail their rejections first. Remember, its never over until you have a piece of paper in your hand!

Good luck!

Guest UWOMED2005

I think both of the last two years U of T has initially stated they'd do all their interviewing by the end of April, but decided to add another session in early May.

Well, that is a good question....I really don't know the answer to it. At this time last year, I think that the answer was no. UofT wanted to have a weekend in Feb, a weekend in Mar and a weekend in Apr from what I remember hearing last year. But, that said, the May weekend wasn't added on two seconds notice either. I remember hearing that there was going to be May interviews by about mid-March...although the invite wasn't sent until the week before (last day of April). They did however add Fri and Mon interviews around the May weekends at the last minute. I think that this was to accomodate people with conflicts. Usually UofT deals with conflicts by moving your interview to the next interview weekend....of course this isn't an option on the last weekend! I really couldn't tell you what UofT is up to this year. They seem to be pretty secretive about admissions stuff. But, from my experience last year (and many other's experience) UofT really drags the interview process out....the invites and rejections trickle out from early Jan to late April....I think that they have the honour of being the school that you could potentially hear from first or last....they really don't give to many clues or timelines as to what is going on or when it will happen. Sorry I don't have any better answers for you. Just sit back and relax...it could still be awhile!

Aneliz,

There was a weekend of interviews in may last year. IT was the last batch I know becuase I had to go to a conference in may last year and I had not heard from UofT and I was asking them to find out whether I was going to get an interview in the last batch in may. She reaffirmed that there was a last batch that weekend in may but that I was not going to get an invite. And by the way most people at that time just got an email invite. Later they got a letter for directions to schoold and the specifics of the invite. That is why I originally posted that the selection process is ongoing. In fact I got my rejection letter in July! But since I did not get an interview I knew that I am going to be rejected.

Yup, there was interview an interview weekend in May last year...I know, I was interviewed during it. And I was given about a week notice by e-mail (the actual letter didn't come until a few days before). My point was, that at this point last year, UofT was planning to be FINISHED interviewing by the end of April...but by about mid-March they realised that this wasn't going to be possible and added the May weekend. So, it wasn't necessarily a 'last second' addition but it wasn't planned from time zero either. As for what they are up to this year, I haven't a clue.

Good luck though!

Guest cause2003

Does anyone know how many graduate applicants UofT has this year, and how many they are interviewing?

Also, has anyone received a rejection letter yet?

-Later, cause

Guest peachy

I was told today by a first-year meds student that the reason for the fiasco last year with scheduling was that there was some sort of administrative changeover of the admissions committees, and there were some communications problems or something.... and that nothing like that should happen this year.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi cause2003,

Yep, rejection letters for graduate applicants have been sent out. I received one, as did another of my pals. It's likely (going by previous years' activities) that the graduate applicant rejections will be sent out in batches. Last year and the year prior, they were sending them out right up to the beginning of May.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest batman

Kirsteen,

I'm sorry to hear that. I really can't understand how you didn't get an invite, with your stats, education and background (and having read some of your posts, you sound like an amazing applicant). Maybe this is some mystical process in the end of it all...

Guest habra

I am sorry to hear about the rejection. may I ask if you are a masters or a PHD applicant?

It was torture last year. I did not hear anything till may and then sent a rejection which I got in July. I have a feeling a rejection is waiting for me next week. Would you let us know when you got your letter?

thanks

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there habra,

I'm a one-and-a-half-Masters applicant (MBA with an M.Sc. in process). My letter arrived not last week, but the week before--pretty speedy! Like you, I received the UofT boot in May last year, so in a sense, if the rejection comes early, at least you can validly move on.

In case it's of interest, my friend who received her UofT rejection received it a few days ago and she is also a M.Sc. student.

Cheers, good luck and hopefully it will only be good news that arrives for you,

Kirsteen

Guest habra

Hi again Kirsteen,

I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone and I have had four rejections so far. I have yet to have an interview either. I am mostly counting on Ottawa and UofT and then again I am not so sure about those either. I know you will get in somewhere as you sound like a very nice person and that quality definitely comes through in an interview. Good luck with the rest of your applications. Resilience is half of the game, if you want to be a Doctor you will be. One of my friends applied to UofT 5 times before he got in!

Cheers

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there habra,

Wow, to be truthful, I'm a little shocked at your rejections given your experience. Is it simply a matter of naughty cut-offs that are getting you? In any case, I hope you're not feeling like you're hanging in limbo, wondering why you've been rejected.

Best of luck with Ottawa and UofT; although there are many factors that are considered, hopefully you'll find some ease in learning that I know at least a couple of folks with research backgrounds and productivity similar to yours and they received acceptances to UofT.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest habra

Kirsteen,

Well, I think for the most part my problem has had to do with the MCAT. last year I had a seven in verbal which kept me back. For the first time I managed to get an 8 in verbal and UofT of course had to raise it to a 9! just my luck. The only schools that do take into account the graduate record are UofT and Ottawa. Macmaster doesn't care and neither do the universities out west which I applied to and got rejected from. My Graduate average thankfully is an A and I am counting that they take notice. But I am begining to think that luck has a lot to do with it as well and all your stars have to line up so to speak. But the bottomline is that if one applies enough times that one would get in. :)

Was it you that posted they weight a course based masters like MBA more weight in the selection process? hopefully that would work to your advantage in the next cycle.

Anyway I hope for the best :) and will post if I hear anything.

cheers

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there habra,

First off, I think UBC and Calgary may look upon your graduate experience favourably. BC would really like your publications, I'm sure, and afford you some extracurricular points on that basis. Don't write either of them off yet!

Good luck--I'm sure you'll be fine--and let me know when that luck checks in!

Kirsteen

Guest Bone Gal

Hey there,

I have followed this board for a while but have never posted before so here I go!

I have no idea how the selection process/criteria works for graduate applicants. I guess I have the typical med applicant profile (volunteer work, real work, teaching experience, research, EC activities....blah blah blah). As for academics, I have spent the last 6 years at UofT. Graduated with distinction from undergrad (A- GPA), a 4.0 in graduate studies, 2 manuscripts in progress (1st and 3rd author), and a third one on the way, plus I just defended my MSc thesis in January. This was all submitted to the admin people as part of my graduate package. I guess I really am not the calibre they are seeking! This may shed some light on the admin criteria (we can try to come up with our own theories:p ), or may just make things more confusing!

I feel the pain of rejection with all you qualified applicants out there! I just wanted to wish you all best of luck.

Strangely, this has been extremely therapeutic for me (posting on this board). I guess my fates have been decided and it is back to research for me!

Cheers,

A.

Archived