Premed 101 Forums

I hope your teeth are nice...

So, I went to see my dentist last week.

I love her, she's young, funny, and very honest. She's been practicing for about 4 years now.

When I told her I was accepted she went on to show me her teeth and describe the extensive work she had done to make the absolutely perfect.

She told me to brace myself because healthy straight teeth are simply not enough, and some professors will not be kind about it.

So, I'm heading to my hometown to get a few veneers done just to even out the slight length difference between some of my top teeth on each side, and to straighten out a single, ever so slightly angled tooth.

I'm happy to get the work done, I just wanted to share what I had learned with my fellow pre-dents.

that's ridiculous? Why does it matter that the dentist has to have perfect teeth? You don't see overweight med students being scolded by their instructors for not being in perfect health. This is a little hard to believe

I agree...having clean, healthy teeth that are fairly straight should be enough. IMO, it's a huge turnoff when a person's teeth are obviously fake. There's a chick at my job with veneers and it's so tacky - gigantic sparkling white chiclets just don't look good in real life.

Its not possible that they can say anything like this as this would be the basis of discrimination and I dont think people at this level have such thinking. They know we are students and how much we can afford. It makes sense to take care of hygiene and get dental cleaning but everyone knows how expensive is getting braces.

Oh who knows, it could just be that my dentist had a particularly bad experience. I just wanted to share what she told me since I hadn't heard anything like that before.

In my case, my dentist back home is a family friend and does my work for next to nothing, so I'm not concerned about the price, and it's just a few minor things too.

Jochi, I do agree that those chicklet teeth where the whole set is shiny, the exact same length and colour do look pretty obviously porcelain. It's not my taste, but so many people love it, and I'm sure I'll be generating a lot of chicklet smiles in the future.

I really don't think it's a big deal. My friends in plastic surgery were put under enormous pressure by their superiors to undergo procedures to refine their looks, but they just shrugged it off and did their own thing.

i think your dentist was probably just messing/joking with you or she was trying to get some work done on you to increase her production or maybe just uninformed, lol...i don't wanna judge her motives.

but getting back to the original idea, dentist do not need to have perfect teeth. you'll notice that your professors wont have perfect teeth....for crying out loud you'll have the mask on 90% of the time while you are with your patient, the other 10% of the time the patient will be scared sh!tless for all the money they'll have to pay and would probably not notice your slightly (like a degree or two) off angled teeth.

The only time i would think that your patients would care about dentist's teeth is when you get one of those high end "exacting" patients who want perfect teeth and only seek cosmetic treatment (want based treatment rather than need based treatment). and i don't think you want those exacting patients in your practice.

oh btw, veneers are technique sensitive and expensive (lab fees etc..). i wouldn't do them for free.

I think it would make sense if you obviously weren't even trying to take care of your teeth. We can't help but judge people on overtly bad oral hygiene.

It would be like an oncologist who smokes...I'm sure they're judged on it.

I agree though, perfect chiclets are probably a bit overboard.

Archived