Premed 101 Forums

what are my chances?

Guest ahmed92

Guest ahmed92

hi

I currently have a gpa of 3.87 on the omsas scale from my first 2 yrs at york. I am considering applying this year and taking my mcats soon. I have volunteered with red cross and my local community. I started volunteering at a hospital as well. What do u think r my chances of making it?

hi

I currently have a gpa of 3.87 on the omsas scale from my first 2 yrs at york. I am considering applying this year and taking my mcats soon. I have volunteered with red cross and my local community. I started volunteering at a hospital as well. What do u think r my chances of making it?

Hi there! There is an excellent FAQ on this question in the general premed forum topic, with a fantastic flowcart that pretty much outlines the entire "what are my chances" area of concern. Take a look, and I will say so far you look competitive :)

hi

Firstly, do a search. There have been countless threads on this topic.

To answer your question, honestly, very few applicants are accepted before they complete a 4 year degree. Your gpa is competitive, but if these volunteering activities are your only extra curriculars, your at a large disadvantage. Remember, the OMSAS application has 48 spaces to list ECs. Apply, but dont be discouraged if you dont get in this time.

Guest ahmed92

I have a bunch of other ECs like playing soccer for my school team and few other minor ones..where do u think I should apply? Which skools are more friendly towards applicants who r applying in their second year? Personally, I want to go for Mcmaster and what do u think abut my chances there?

P.S I checked the FAQ on chances. I was just new to the site so din knw abut it ..

I have a bunch of other ECs like playing soccer for my school team and few other minor ones..where do u think I should apply? Which skools are more friendly towards applicants who r applying in their second year? Personally, I want to go for Mcmaster and what do u think abut my chances there?

P.S I checked the FAQ on chances. I was just new to the site so din knw abut it ..

Students with only two years experience are somewhat disadvantaged in the application process, only because they have a bit less time to collect the life experience schools look for and they are also excluded from applying to many schools.

In your specific case it seems you are on the right track and you can consider applying this year to a couple of schools- if for no other reason than applying is excellent practice. The chances for acceptance right now (limited hospital exposure(?), no other extraordinary EC, solid GPA but not "superstar" level GPA, no MCAT yet, and only 2 years so far) are not very good but that really isn't a big deal. You still have plenty of time :)

Are you sure about this?

I thought that people can apply to Mac, Ottawa, Toronto, and Queens after 2 years of undergrad (3 years completed at time of acceptance). Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Your right! Terribly sorry about that - good catch :)

You have to have 30 credits by the following June.

Guest ahmed92

I thught I had a 'superstar' GPA :rolleyes: lolzz

Anyways I am currently volunteering at a hospital where the surgeons were kind enuff to let me watch a few surgeries but I hav just started volunteering. Most likely I'll be applying to uoft, ottawa and mac. Can any1 comment about my chances at a specific skool or nay other general comment? The good thing abut mac is tht no MCAT is required but tht means more competition... I am already depressedd :confused: :confused:

I thught I had a 'superstar' GPA :rolleyes: lolzz

Anyways I am currently volunteering at a hospital where the surgeons were kind enuff to let me watch a few surgeries but I hav just started volunteering. Most likely I'll be applying to uoft, ottawa and mac. Can any1 comment about my chances at a specific skool or nay other general comment? The good thing abut mac is tht no MCAT is required but tht means more competition... I am already depressedd :confused:

Don't get depressed! You aren't doing anything wrong, and in fact you are doing things correctly! A 3.87 is a good competative GPA, you are starting to get experience, and I am certainly not saying don't apply this coming year. It's just that the review process at those schools you mention do tend to favour students that are further along in their studies for logical reasons. It just takes time to develop long term EC, letters of reference, do research, get more scholarships...etc. Take yourself for instance - if you were reviewing your file, do you think you would look on paper more competitive in another year? With an extra year of shadowing, another high GPA year, etc. Toronto, Mac, and Ottawa in some fashion do take your background into account and that (should) only improve with time :)

One thing I should mention though - Mac does require the MCAT now, but it is just the V.R. section. This is new this year, and will be described in the new application mannual which is now only days away. Actually the V.R. score will be (it seems) a significant determinant in the process. You mentioned you were doing the MCAT this summer anyway so that is good :)

Hey,

You should keep your head up and try your best to apply this year. Although it is hard to get in after 3rd year, its not impossible... I felt the same way last summer but I still went through the application process...even though the entire time I felt I wasn't going to get accepted, good news came my way on May 15th....so you never know...and even if you don't get in during this application cycle, its no big deal...improve your application for the following year + your added experience which you will have gained by having gone through the process will be a bonus!! good luck with everything and if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask!

Archived