Premed 101 Forums

No hope or suck it up and keep trying?

I was wondering, from your experience and knowledge, is there a hope to actually get into med school right after undergrad if your GPA is >3.5 in the first two years but is alot better in the last two years and have a solid MCAT or are you doomed for life?

3.5-ish gpa is low for med school applications. Although meeting many cut-offs, there are lots of people with higher, more competitive gpas. It is possible to increase your gpa with a solid third year, but thats the only chance you get because you'd have already sumbitted your application during your fourth year. If you took a full course load in the first 2 years, and ace your third year, your GPA will end up being near 3.7ish which is competitive, but there are still many people higher. herefore, nail your MCAT, do lots of ECs and wow the interviewers.

• 2 months later...

It's doable but not guaranteed. You'll have to have to be solid in all the other areas of your application. There's also an element of luck involved, and with a lower GPA you'll be a bit more reliant on it than the 3.9ers.

That being said, I'm in 2nd year of U of C Med (Class of 2011) now with 3.2, 3.6 and 3.5 for my first three years, and having no trouble academically now that I'm here.

• 3 weeks later...

It's easier if you can qualify for SWOMEN, or IP status at Quebec/elsewhere... but you still have lots of hope regardless.

I'm applying this round

3.17 1st year

3.94 2nd year

3.88 3rd year

I still feel I have hope (though while doing these apps I'm losing it). Just get those marks up

It's easier if you can qualify for SWOMEN, or IP status at Quebec/elsewhere... but you still have lots of hope regardless.

I'm applying this round

3.17 1st year

3.94 2nd year

3.88 3rd year

I still feel I have hope (though while doing these apps I'm losing it). Just get those marks up

why lose hope - your marks are amazing! :) do you have good ECs? good references? research?

Archived