Premed 101 Forums

School list that "forgive" some courses!

Can you please create a comprehensive list of Canadian medical schools that:

1) Do not count courses taken during the summer in your GPA

2) Drop your lowest course from your GPA

3) Consider the highest one/two/three undergrad years

4) Any other school that gives some type of "forgiving"?

These questions show up a lot and making a thread for it would be a good idea.

Thanks.

To the OP: look, the fact is, this information is all over these forums. A simple search will get you all the answers.

Even with a comprehensive list, its not going to stop people from starting their new threads asking the same question. There are several other comprehensive threads already on the forum, and yet people keep asking the same questions over and over.

If you are looking for the information yourself, you said it yourself that these questions come up a lot. Why not just look at those threads? The answers are also available on each school's website.

wow you people are so helpful...

Take some initiative and help yourself. All the information you will ever need for the application process can be found using the Search Function. If for some odd reason, the information is not in a previous thread (which I highly doubt), then come back and ask a more detailed and specific question than "make a comprehensive list for me" - which essentially means "I'm too much of a lazy ass to do a little reading for myself". Don't expect people to spoonfeed you all the information. Common information like what you requested can be found in less than 10 minutes.

A simpler guide:

Looking for facts? Use the Search function.

Looking for opinions? Ask away.

hey man,

I don't really know about other schools... but the U of S takes your top two full years (sept to april), and they dont take ur spring summer classes into account (unless its a pre req course, then that is counted in the separate pre req average ie not part of the two year)... Bear in mine tho, if ur out of province, the cut off for interviews is about 92.5.. and after you get an interview, they no longer look at your marks (ie its 100% MMI score)...

I don't know details, only that at least these schools will somehow drop some courses/years depending on whether you've taken a full courseload or not:

UofA - drop lowest year if at least 3 full time years are completed

UofS - takes best 2 years

UofT - drops a certain amount of lowest-graded courses depending on how many full-time years you've completed

Queen's - best 2 years

Western - best 2 years

May be more schools that have different GPA calculation methods. Your best bet is to look at each of these school's websites and read more into their policies, since I may have mentioned some that are incorrect/outdated.

I don't know details, only that at least these schools will somehow drop some courses/years depending on whether you've taken a full courseload or not:

UofA - drop lowest year if at least 3 full time years are completed

UofS - takes best 2 years

UofT - drops a certain amount of lowest-graded courses depending on how many full-time years you've completed

Queen's - best 2 years

Western - best 2 years

May be more schools that have different GPA calculation methods. Your best bet is to look at each of these school's websites and read more into their policies, since I may have mentioned some that are incorrect/outdated.

Actually Western takes your best 2 years, of which one must be a senior year (3rd or 4th).

Whereas Queen's takes not the best 2 but the LAST 2 years of full-time study

Archived