Premed 101 Forums

Where to do undergrad (Canada or the US)

I'm a Canadian high school student and I have a good chance at admission to some decent colleges in America for my undergrad (Vanderbilt, Cornell, Columbia, etc). I can pretty much get into any program I want in Canada. I want to become a doctor and I have two options. One is to leave for the US and the other is the famous MacMaster Health Sciences program, which pretty much ensures my admission to med school in Canada. I have confidence in my abilities.

I was wondering what you recommend. Will I have a chance at admission to a fine US med school from MacMaster University? Because despite the specific program's reputation in Canada, MacMaster U is not a well-known school world-wide. My other option (which is more appropriate for US med school apps) is McGill, but that would be a huge risk since I can pretty much ensure my acceptance to Canadian med schools from MacMaster's.

Thanks for your time

I'd go to the US and gun for a full ride or close to it. I had a pretty sweet scholarship at my alma mater in the US (>$11,000/yr, and was offered more by another institution). If you have a good app and can get into an institution like Columbia, you're set for life. Now, the issue with US schools is that high grades is not enough - the undergrad application process there is much like that in medicine (minus interviews). So it's not enough to have 1450+ SAT (or whatever the equivalent is today, 2150+?) and 3.7+, you need to stand out with your work/volunteer/EC experiences. I did not have the highest GPA when I applied to the US, but I think my knowledge of foreign languages and the fact that I was living on my own in a foreign country at age 16 caught the adcoms' eye. I received scholarship offers from every school that accepted me.

I still regret not applying to schools like Harvard, Duke, or Cornell. The fact that a #11 institution admitted me right off the bat with a scholarship offer suggested that I didn't aim high enough. So apply broadly to top schools!

As Jochi has pointed out, your acceptance into med school is more than a function of great marks. With some exceptions, virtually everybody who gets into med school has great marks - which is not enough though. And, of course, you need to do well competitively in MCAT.

I hate to break it to you, but nobody is guaranteed a position in med school. Just read through the various threads here and you will see applicants with amazing stats who have applied to med school year after year after year. My point is that while confidence in oneself is great and necessary, overconfidence boarding on arrogance can be a detriment, so just don't take anything for granted!

I don't get it why you say that McGill "would be a hugh risk". I can tell you with absolute certainty that there are no guarantees in life, especially getting into med school, no matter what you believe.:mad: And humility is good, especially in dealing with not always living up to our own expectations and in interactions with patients.:)

I certainly wish you well and all success in your endeavours.

I'm a Canadian high school student and I have a good chance at admission to some decent colleges in America for my undergrad (Vanderbilt, Cornell, Columbia, etc). I can pretty much get into any program I want in Canada. I want to become a doctor and I have two options. One is to leave for the US and the other is the famous MacMaster Health Sciences program, which pretty much ensures my admission to med school in Canada. I have confidence in my abilities.

I was wondering what you recommend. Will I have a chance at admission to a fine US med school from MacMaster University? Because despite the specific program's reputation in Canada, MacMaster U is not a well-known school world-wide. My other option (which is more appropriate for US med school apps) is McGill, but that would be a huge risk since I can pretty much ensure my acceptance to Canadian med schools from MacMaster's.

Thanks for your time

Where do you want to live in the end?

Incidentally, your post betrays an appalling sense of entitlement to get into med school, regardless of whether you enter the health sci program (certainly not providing a guarantee of anything!).

Of course, I've never heard of MacMaster University before either. What makes you think it's so great?

:rolleyes:

Thanks for your time

Like people above had said, do not fool yourself by thinking you're guarenteed to get into med schools in Canada.

Its good that you're aiming high, but dont underestimate the competition you will be facing when you apply for med. Everyone at MacMaster Health Science is looking for med. Even with the best grades and best MCAT, you're still not guarenteed anything.

Going to McGill does not lessen your chances at getting into med school in Canada in any way. In fact, Canadian med schools dont care what university you went to at all. They only consider the GPA you got. So even if you went to McGill (or McMaster) with a 4.0GPA, you'd be just as competitive as someone from Cape Breton University with the same GPA.

Hi,

You are not guaranteed to get into Mac Health sci.. There are many people with amazing marks/ECs and everything who got rejected. Additionally, Mac Health sci does NOT guarantee you a spot in med school in Canada.

If your parents are wealthy enough to support you or you get a full scholarship, then go down to the U.S. Other than that, it would be better to stay in Canada and save money as where you go for undergrad doesn't matter (at least it seems like it).

Also for the record, there are people who got into Hopkins med or Harvard med from Mac Health sci. The adcoms are well aware of universities in North America.

Going to Harvard or any other prestigious schools won't put you in a far more advantageous position.

I'd go to the US and gun for a full ride or close to it. I had a pretty sweet scholarship at my alma mater in the US (>$11,000/yr, and was offered more by another institution). If you have a good app and can get into an institution like Columbia, you're set for life. Now, the issue with US schools is that high grades is not enough - the undergrad application process there is much like that in medicine (minus interviews). So it's not enough to have 1450+ SAT (or whatever the equivalent is today, 2150+?) and 3.7+, you need to stand out with your work/volunteer/EC experiences. I did not have the highest GPA when I applied to the US, but I think my knowledge of foreign languages and the fact that I was living on my own in a foreign country at age 16 caught the adcoms' eye. I received scholarship offers from every school that accepted me.

I still regret not applying to schools like Harvard, Duke, or Cornell. The fact that a #11 institution admitted me right off the bat with a scholarship offer suggested that I didn't aim high enough. So apply broadly to top schools!

This is so true. I had 95+ average, a good SAT, amazing list of E/Cs (in my opinion lol - but could be quite standard), and good list of prizes/awards. But, since my essays were not outstanding and the topics were quite overused (i never realized it when i was writing them), I didn't get into my dream school.

In other words, you are human like the rest of us.:P

LOL. i think it all happened for good reasons. Although I don't get to go to my dream university now :( , I got into Mac Health sci, which sounds amazing. For me, mac health sci is the best choice considering financial situations and other things loll .. i should've realized this way way before.

LOL. i think it all happened for good reasons. Although I don't get to go to my dream university now :( , I got into Mac Health sci, which sounds amazing. For me, mac health sci is the best choice considering financial situations and other things loll .. i should've realized this way way before.

:P (10 characters)

the other is the famous MacMaster Health Sciences program, which pretty much ensures my admission to med school in Canada.

...nothing's a lock, I guarantee where you take your undergrad has NOTHING to do with an acceptance at a CDN med school (the only "location factor" of course is being an IP/OP/Specified Limits candidate). Take a shot of humility and do some better research.

...nothing's a lock, I guarantee where you take your undergrad has NOTHING to do with an acceptance at a CDN med school (the only "location factor" of course is being an IP/OP/Specified Limits candidate). Take a shot of humility and do some better research.

+1

and the OP hasn't got in anywhere yet.. American schools and Mac health sci are quite tricky.

I should have expected them. Thanks to those who at least partially answered the question. I don't know what the problem is. A decent student at McMaster's Health Sciences has a much better chance at med school than a decent student at UofT ceteris paribus because of ease and grading. In other words, since I will be the same person in any school, the circumstances could play a huge role in graduate school admission. Would you by any chance leave the cave and answer the question?

Thanks anyways. I am very humble in real life. I don't need to be reminded. I tend to be more direct on the cyber-space because I am not planning on making friends. The sole purpose of my registration is to circulate and obtain information not to expose humility or any other virtue of mine for that matter.

A decent student at McMaster's Health Sciences has a much better chance at med school than a decent student at UofT ceteris paribus because of ease and grading. In other words, since I will be the same person in any school, the circumstances could play a huge role in graduate school admission.

Well then wouldnt it be even easier at a school like York?

Would you by any chance leave the cave and answer the question?

What a great way to get people to help you :mad: .

I don't need to be reminded. I tend to be more direct on the cyber-space because I am not planning on making friends. The sole purpose of my registration is to circulate and obtain information not to expose humility or any other virtue of mine for that matter.

oh well that makes us want to help you so much more :rolleyes: .

Between you and binbin, you may have created a whole new class of trolling.

I am very humble in real life......The sole purpose of my registration is ...... obtain information not to expose humility or any other virtue of mine for that matter.

When you eventually apply to med school, all adcoms will see is paper at first and if you come across to them like you have come across to us, you will be in serious trouble no matter how smart you may be and you will never get to the interview stage. Humility is an essential ingredient for any med school applicant in my opinion, and by going out of your way to show your sense of entitlement, you are not doing yourself any favours. Indeed, our collective reaction (on a completely individual basis) is a direct result of how you project yourself. You may wish to self-reflect, discuss this privately with trusted friends in your own best interests or entirely ignore this well meaning suggestion.

People who are humble show it through their deeds and their manner of expression. Your manner of expression on this thread speaks for itself.

When you eventually apply to med school, all adcoms will see is paper at first and if you come across to them like you have come across to us, you will be in serious trouble no matter how smart you may be and you will never get to the interview stage. Humility is an essential ingredient for any med school applicant in my opinion, and by going out of your way to show your sense of entitlement, you are not doing yourself any favours. Indeed, our collective reaction (on a completely individual basis) is a direct result of how you project yourself. You may wish to self-reflect, discuss this privately with trusted friends in your own best interests or entirely ignore this well meaning suggestion.

People who are humble show it through their deeds and their manner of expression. Your manner of expression on this thread speaks for itself.

Dude, I'm not retarded. I know how to fill out application forms. I have gotten far in my life with a few good essays and proper attitude. Again, why are you all so pedantic? Answer the question. I would have asked about attitude, essays, self-reflection and whatnot if I had needed to.

Your high-school arrogance is charming and all, but there's a reason everyone's response has been trying to level you down, and it's not because we're insecure. A lot can happen in 4 years, even if you're really as strong academically as you display. Nothing is a guarentee.

On topic: What really matters is where you want to go to medical school in the future. I have a friend who is essentially a prodigy. Full academic ride to Princeton with a 1 point-from-perfect full IB score, 1st in the world in the debate championships, AND he played div 2 ball for Princeton's team in 1st year. His GPA is a 3.27 because Princeton is one of the few great schools in the US that don't grade inflate and he chose an incredibly difficult engineering field. Because of this, he has 0 chance of getting an interview in Canada, let alone acceptance. However, he has a way better shot than me of getting into a great American school because American schools care about your undergrad institution. For the most part, Canadian schools do not.

So yeah, in summary, choose your school based upon where you want to be in the future. If you want to attend a top notch school in the states for medicine, I'd recommend going to the states. If you want to stay in Canada, go to a Canadian school. Of course cross-over is possible, but this is the easiest way to do it.

Dude, I'm not retarded.....I have gotten far in my life with a ..... proper attitude.

We are pre-meds and always help out those seeking reasonable help or asking reasonable questions. You have gotten in the way, i.e., become an obstacle to yourself on this thread. This happens hardly ever. If you don't shape up your attitude, honestly, if you show even a tiny amount of what you have shown to us, I can predict the outcome of any admissions committee. It is not too late though, so take this as constructive criticism. Referring to yourself as "not retarded" to any Admissions Committee will seal your fate absolutely, these are your words that I am quoting and would otherwise never use.

KUDOS! WOOT WOOT! First proper answer.

Your high-school arrogance is charming and all, but there's a reason everyone's response has been trying to level you down, and it's not because we're insecure. A lot can happen in 4 years, even if you're really as strong academically as you display. Nothing is a guarentee.

On topic: What really matters is where you want to go to medical school in the future. I have a friend who is essentially a prodigy. Full academic ride to Princeton with a 1 point-from-perfect full IB score, 1st in the world in the debate championships, AND he played div 2 ball for Princeton's team in 1st year. His GPA is a 3.27 because Princeton is one of the few great schools in the US that don't grade inflate and he chose an incredibly difficult engineering field. Because of this, he has 0 chance of getting an interview in Canada, let alone acceptance. However, he has a way better shot than me of getting into a great American school because American schools care about your undergrad institution. For the most part, Canadian schools do not.

So yeah, in summary, choose your school based upon where you want to be in the future. If you want to attend a top notch school in the states for medicine, I'd recommend going to the states. If you want to stay in Canada, go to a Canadian school. Of course cross-over is possible, but this is the easiest way to do it.

Archived