Premed 101 Forums

Summer Student Research Positions at UofT

Guest Rome1

I recently heard about a summer student research program at UofT in the Medical Imaging & Physics. It is basically a research assistant position for undergrads, from what I hear. I was wondering if anyone here took part in this program or have heard of it. Would you mind telling me how you found the research experience and if it would be worthwhile applying if you are a first year student. The programs is looking for second and third year students, as well as outstanding first years. Should I go for it or wait another year to apply...

Guest therealcrackers

Most of the graduate departments at U of T have summer research programs. I was a grad student at the Institute for Medical Science, and they had quite a large program for undergraduate students interested in membrane biology, whole organ physiology, molecular genetics and some clinical and community health work. Call up the graduate departments and see what's going on... the deadlines for most of the applications are before the middle of February.

Guest bluesky125

Hi Rome1

I worked as a summer student at Medical Imagining & Physics Program after my first year and it was a great experience. I was a little unnerved by the "outstanding" first year part but I applied anyway. My advice is to apply to different summer programs so you can maximize your options. I learned a lot as a summer student. What I like best about this program is that you get to interact with other research students. So apply!

bluesky125

I am comtemplating applying to this program. I have never held a position before, so i have a feeling my chances of getting the position is slim. I was trying to write a CV/resume last night...with not much luck :( ...I am finding it difficult to focus on academic research experience when I have only done labs in first year BIO and CHem. Did you have any experience when you applied? How important is your reference since that is one of the major part of the application?

Any help would be appreciated...

P.S. are there other summer student programs like this one in other universities...if so, where?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi Rome1,

They're not at different universities, but most of the Basic Medical Science departments at UofT (Physiology, Immunology, etc.) offer undergraduate researchships that run during the summer and provide experience and a little funding for the students who complete them. Most of these departments have their own webpages so check each to see what may be available; and like the above post read, the application deadlines for most are quickly approaching.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Biochem10

Hi. I did a couple of summer research positions and I found them to be great opportunities to learn how to apply your theoretical knowledge. Don't worry about not having any experience, you have to start somewhere. Just submit the application to the best of your ability, rather than focusing on your previous research experience, show them that you have potential to excel in research by your enthusiasm and interest in a particular area. Once you get "a foot in the door" more positions will quickly follow. If you don't get accepted into a designated "summer program", you can always approach a specific supervisor/professor and ask if he/she hires summer students. I started by offering to volunteer in the lab, but my supervisor was very generous and said he would pay me. (this was right after first year) I knew practically nothing about molecular biology, but my supervisor gave me a chance.

Guest Biochem10

Hi. I did a couple of summer research positions and I found them to be great opportunities to learn how to apply your theoretical knowledge. Don't worry about not having any experience, you have to start somewhere. Just submit the application to the best of your ability, rather than focusing on your previous research experience, show them that you have potential to excel in research by your enthusiasm and interest in a particular area. Once you get "a foot in the door" more positions will quickly follow. If you don't get accepted into a designated "summer program", you can always approach a specific supervisor/professor and ask if he/she hires summer students. I started by offering to volunteer in the lab, but my supervisor was very generous and said he would pay me. (this was right after first year) I knew practically nothing about molecular biology, but my supervisor gave me a chance. :)

Guest therealcrackers

The most important thing about your first research position is that you can demonstrate a willingness to listen and to learn. Getting that first bit of practical experience means someone has to take a chance on you---but once you get that bit of experience, it gives you a brand new set of skills. Do some reading in the review literature in the field, so you have an appreciation for the major and hot topics, and do some digging to understand some of the jargon that gets used. Medical Biophysics has a very strong program; so do Immunology, Physiology, Pharmacology (often inhabited by Pharmacy keeners?), and Zoology and Botany on the molecular end at least. (This is all U of T, BTW). Western also has programs for undergraduate students in a lot of the science departments.

Be prepared that first summer to volunteer. But if you get the research bug, the subsequent you can apply to research foundations and the governmental programs (NSERC, SSHRC, CIHR) for funding to get paid---since you have more experience and can contribute something more to the lab. Most of those applications are due by the end of January, so you need to have identified a supervisor before then. Good luck!

Guest cheech10

Laboratory medicine and Pathobiology, the Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute at Mount Sinai Hospital, and the Hospital for Sick Children also have summer programs. Do a search and they should come up. And don't worry about lack of experience; enthusiasm is the key.

I have sent an email to the coordinator of the Summer Student program in Medical Imaging & Physics and have not heard back from him. I was wondering if someone here could answer my questions. With regard to the selection procress, are you selected for the program only if prospective supervisors contact you? Also, does anyone know what is the competition like for this program? On the website, there seems to be ~ 100 positions available.

Guest bluesky125

Hi

When I applied to the program, I didn't have any research experience. Like you, I just got science labs as research experience. I asked my biology lab TA and and physics professor for references. I was lucky to know my physics professor quite well becuase he was the nicest teacher I ever met. He also conducted all the tutorials :)

How the program worked when I applied:

1) the department read about 800+ applications and selected 300

2) they send the 300 selected applicants a list of 100 potential supervisors

3) the students then get to email 3 supervisors they are interested

4) Supervisors contact a couple of students for interview

The numbers might seem a little intimating at first. That's why I also applied to different research programs. I think what is most important is that you show your interest to learn.

hope this is helpful!

Guest med2006McGill

Rome1,

It is harder to get a position as a first-year student. However, if you have stellar marks, your chances wouldn't be too bad.

I worked as a summer student under the "Biological Sciences" program (Dept. of Medical Biophysics) for 2 summers and loved it! Dept. of Medical Biophysics is a great department. Like most other programs, you do a poster at the end and there are seminars for summer students every week.

When I applied, I think there were around 350 applicants. They sent 100 applicants (as stated in their email) a list of potential supervisors. Good luck!:)

Hey, I'm in 1st year too, and applied to medical imaging & physics.

Did you go to their grad student/summer program open house in november or december? Anyways I spoke to the coordinator about chances for first year student, and she said that they understand that being in first year, our research experience is so limited, and that it ends up being your references, and mostly your grades, that look at.

I reccomend visiting the institute of medical science office in the med sci building, picking up a package, and looking over it, there are TONS of scientists listed there. Also, check out the websites of some of the research hospitals like sick kids, mt sinai, st mikes, sunnybrook, princess margaret, look under the research heading, and just contact some scientists. The worse thing that can happen is that you'll get a kind "No", but there's always the chance that they needed someone for the summer.

Rome1: what are you taking this year and what program are you hoping to go into?

take care,

0T6:D

OT6,

From the sound of things, I am guessing you have already sent in your application for the med bio program. for your application, did you happen to send in your high school transcript as well?

I am very much hoping to be one of the 100 students, if not I will probably start volunteering in a lab next semester. NExt year, probably with more experience, I will have a better chance at getting selected.

I am planning on majoring in Human Bio and considering a minor in Pyschology. Currently, I am taking BIo Chem Phys Stats and Psyc... what is your "big 4"...sorry not too familiar with that lingo...

Well, allthe best with your application,

rome

Guest ioncannon97

I am not too sure about the process at UofT but at my university (saskatchewan), our best option for getting summer positions is through NSERC or another government organization. Usually, the professor you apply with will say that he/she will hire you even if you fail to recieve NSERC support (though you get more money if you get the NSERC support!!). I got an NSERC after my first year and have applied again with another prof this year. I prefer NSERC because its not as messy (less paperwork like references, etc. the decision is based solely on grades). Anyway, my advice would be to find out which professors hold NSERC grants at your university and go and talk to them (although I think that the NSERC deadline may have just passed).

NSERC guidelines vary hugely from school to school - you need to check with your own school for the guidelines. In some schools it's based on application, in others on GPA only. In some schools it's open to any student, in others for those finishing 2nd and 3rd year only. Also, some schools only offer NSERCs to their own students, and others offer NSERCs to visiting students (eg Waterloo and SFU are two that I know of that do that). So it's worth checking into the guidelines in your own school, but also in other schools. External deadlines (the deadlines for sending in forms to NSERC itself) have not yet passed, and internal deadlines are set differently by every university so it is likely that while the deadline may have passed at some schools it may not have passed at all.

Hey Rome1,

I sent a copy of my high school transcripts as well as a prtinout of my grades from ROSI and department websites.

By the big 4 I meant BIO150, PHY138, MAT135, and CHM139/138.

Good Luck with your application too!

Take Care

0T6

Archived