Premed 101 Forums

In Search of course at Waterloo

DOC_Ma

Hey waterloo science people, I need some advice on course selection, after 3 years of hardcore science, I wanna choose something easy for my 4th year, so plz throw some bird science courses at me, thanks

hmm some questions:

What year does the course have to be?

What program are you doing in Science. If Honours Science what types of courses have you already taken.

Have considered doing a thesis course or Field Trip Course?

Are you considering SCI courses as well?

hmm some questions:

What year does the course have to be?

What program are you doing in Science. If Honours Science what types of courses have you already taken.

Have considered doing a thesis course or Field Trip Course?

Are you considering SCI courses as well?

Thanks for your fast replay rmorelan, srry I should have been more specific because I was busy getting overrides for some of the courses, Here's my answers to your questions

1. I am done third year in Honours Science.

2. Yes I am taking an honours thesis with my current supervisor for NSERC (known him for 2 years now)

3. Yes SCI labelled courses would be great but so far only got one, Physics of how things work SCI 206, not sure about SCI 255 (biology of aging because its taught by Cheryl Duxbury and she has bad ratings).

4. Courses I have already taken, hmmm alot of them, maybe u can gimme some birdy science courses to start with with who you took with also because that's very important and I ll drop the ones I have taken already?

Note: I suck at physics so I avoid physics all together,unless its reaaaally handicapped physics then I might attempt it. Also I would like to take mostly 300 courses but lower lvl like 200 science courses are fine too since I already have best 2 years for western, and please correct me if I am wrong, other med schools other than western dont have strict rules on the courses that have to be corresponding to your year of study.

Thanks so much so far I already have 5 courses selected but any advice to ez up my pressure at school and more time to prepare for med school application and interview is greatly appreciated.

Yes indeed! Give us some details of what you are looking for.

Also, do you want ONLY science suggestions?

;)

no no bro, any other ez bird courses from other faculties would also be appreciated, things I can think right of the bat are ARTS 301, Clas 202 that I have taken already. Taking clas 201 this upcoming term which is supposed to be a bird course as well.

no no bro, any other ez bird courses from other faculties would also be appreciated, things I can think right of the bat are ARTS 301, Clas 202 that I have taken already. Taking clas 201 this upcoming term which is supposed to be a bird course as well.

Have you looked at this thread?

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8422&page=6

p.s. SCI 255 was pretty good, but I took it by DE.

Have you looked at this thread?

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8422&page=6

p.s. SCI 255 was pretty good, but I took it by DE.

thanks for the link, going through it still, also it might help if I list what I have chosen so far, if u think a course is a big no no then plz I mean plz yell loudly at me.

1. honours thesis with a prof that I have known for 2 years and volunteered for 2 years also doing NSERC with him as we speak

2. Biol 479 (population genetics taught by Dr. Witt) ----> this concerns me as I asked him for an override form because I never took evolution and he said its not a good idea to take biol 479 if no evolution however I have hear and read from numerous places that he is a great prof and biol 479 is not hard, any suggestions on this?

3. CHEM 432 - Metabolism 2 by Elizabeth Daub, had her for biochem (half of it because other half was taught by another prof) neutral feeling about her.

4. CLAS 201 - Ancient Greek Society ---> by Nick Maes heard the course is a walk in the park

5. SCI 206 - Physics of How Things Work by Stefan Idziak ---> heard its the easiest course on campus? maybe not true but cant be rediculously hard right?

So far these r my selections, 2 courses I am unsure about, CHEM 432 and Biol 479, please gimme some insight on those 2 choices and maybe suggestions to replace them, thanks. AGAIN I dont need to meed the 3xcurrent lvl of study courses like western wants. Thanks again!!!!:)

r u sure SCI 255 is not an exception? Heard some bad rumors about it, I repaced it with biol 479 bad bad idea ?

Well, as long as you know what and do what she expects, you'll do well.

I haven't taken BIOL 479, so can't comment. I might take evolution (BIOL 359 I think) this winter though, so hopefully it's a nice course :)

Well, as long as you know what and do what she expects, you'll do well.

I haven't taken BIOL 479, so can't comment. I might take evolution (BIOL 359 I think) this winter though, so hopefully it's a nice course :)

I am taking it this winter as well, cya in class, and we might even know each other if we meet in real life.

I am taking it this winter as well, cya in class, and we might even know each other if we meet in real life.

Hmm...Is it a good course? I don't know much about the course or the professor....It just happens to fit well in my schedule (important b/c I commute).

See you then!

:)

I had Witt for a field course - not an easy prof, and takes evolution seriously :)

ouch, just ran up and down to get override to replace SCI 255, darn it :rolleyes:

Maybe I ll switch back? Also for SCI 255 do u guys have to do a lot of assignments? heard assignments are worth alot and are they hard? Also did you guys take it with Cheryl Duxbury or another prof? Thanks

Hmm...Is it a good course? I don't know much about the course or the professor....It just happens to fit well in my schedule (important b/c I commute).

See you then!

:)

oh ya I can say in confidence that biol 359 (evolution) is an awesome course because lots of my friends took it, I had a conflict with ARTS301 last term therefore I missed out on that course:( but its awesome, also if u have taken biol250 then its even easier as biol250 covers alot of the same grounds as biol 359

oh ya I can say in confidence that biol 359 (evolution) is an awesome course because lots of my friends took it, I had a conflict with ARTS301 last term therefore I missed out on that course:( but its awesome, also if u have taken biol250 then its even easier as biol250 covers alot of the same grounds as biol 359

Thanks!

I took the "old" BIOL 250, before they split the course. But yeah, I really like that kind of stuff.

Here's the link to the DE version of SCI 255. Not sure how different it is from the on-campus one...Can't imagine it's that different.

http://de.uwaterloo.ca/coursedetail.cfm?offerID=347

Thanks!

I took the "old" BIOL 250, before they split the course. But yeah, I really like that kind of stuff.

Here's the link to the DE version of SCI 255. Not sure how different it is from the on-campus one...Can't imagine it's that different.

http://de.uwaterloo.ca/coursedetail.cfm?offerID=347

Hey, Do u mind posting/PM me the nature of the 4 assignments, Sorry plz dont get me wrong, not asking for assignments, just wondering what kind of assignments they r, i.e. Question/Answer, lab report, scenario based projects etcs. Thanks a ton, I might take it distance ed so 6 courses term 1 and 4 courses term 2 as interviews (if possible :D ) and med school stuff + 499 report will kick in in term 2

Hey, Do u mind posting/PM me the nature of the 4 assignments, Sorry plz dont get me wrong, not asking for assignments, just wondering what kind of assignments they r, i.e. Question/Answer, lab report, scenario based projects etcs. Thanks a ton, I might take it distance ed so 6 courses term 1 and 4 courses term 2 as interviews (if possible :D ) and med school stuff + 499 report will kick in in term 2

Hey there!

I'll send you a PM.

p.s. You'll have to take the on-campus version b/c I think the DE one only runs in the summer term.

BIOL 359 is an amazing course. I took it last winter term. Witt is an amazing prof, never skipped that class. The tests are very fair. You can "snowboard" as he calls it, by not taking any of the midterm and just showing up for the 100% final, which I wouldn't suggest. The midterms are structured the same way as the final. Managed a mid-80 in the course, and all the marks get adjusted due to the "snowboarder effect," which brings down the class average so he adjusts it upwards.

BIOL 359 is an amazing course. I took it last winter term. Witt is an amazing prof, never skipped that class. The tests are very fair. You can "snowboard" as he calls it, by not taking any of the midterm and just showing up for the 100% final, which I wouldn't suggest. The midterms are structured the same way as the final. Managed a mid-80 in the course, and all the marks get adjusted due to the "snowboarder effect," which brings down the class average so he adjusts it upwards.

Good to know. Thanks for the info!

cool, another confirmation for this good prof, I will def take Biol 359 in the winter, too bad its not offered in the fall :(

Has anyone here taken either BIOL 483 or BIOL 444? I'm taking both in the fall, and would love some insight into these courses from anyone who has taken them or has had friends who have taken it.

not something I am taking, but lemme take a look at what they r, if you are in biomed then probably most of my friends are taking it

Has anyone here taken either BIOL 483 or BIOL 444? I'm taking both in the fall, and would love some insight into these courses from anyone who has taken them or has had friends who have taken it.

Sorry, but I haven't taken those ones, so I can't be of any help.

Archived