Premed 101 Forums

In Search of course at Waterloo

DOC_Ma

Has anyone here taken either BIOL 483 or BIOL 444? I'm taking both in the fall, and would love some insight into these courses from anyone who has taken them or has had friends who have taken it.

I took 444 two years ago - great course, love Dupont. However, the lab (as with all of Cheryl's labs) is impossible to do well in (unless you happen to be able to read her mind), and drags everyone's marks down for that course. I've never been able to break 90 in one of Dupont's classes (always 88 or 89) because of Cheryl's labs.

BIOL 359 is an amazing course. I took it last winter term. Witt is an amazing prof, never skipped that class. The tests are very fair. You can "snowboard" as he calls it, by not taking any of the midterm and just showing up for the 100% final, which I wouldn't suggest. The midterms are structured the same way as the final. Managed a mid-80 in the course, and all the marks get adjusted due to the "snowboarder effect," which brings down the class average so he adjusts it upwards.

I must have been in your class! And I agree, awesome prof, awesome course.

I took 444 two years ago - great course, love Dupont. However, the lab (as with all of Cheryl's labs) is impossible to do well in (unless you happen to be able to read her mind), and drags everyone's marks down for that course. I've never been able to break 90 in one of Dupont's classes (always 88 or 89) because of Cheryl's labs.

Oh Duxbury....

Oh Duxbury....

She gets a bad wrap :) Pretty easy to get an A in on of her labs, but have fun getting over 90 in one. When she does a lab the work load for the course basically doubles.

Guess I was pretty lucky with her, but I was pretty forceful in extracting the assignment requirements before hand :)

She gets a bad wrap :) Pretty easy to get an A in on of her labs, but have fun getting over 90 in one. When she does a lab the work load for the course basically doubles.

Guess I was pretty lucky with her, but I was pretty forceful in extracting the assignment requirements before hand :)

Yeah, well, luckily for you she likes men but hates women. Also, she's bipolar. Seriously.

Well, that's key...

I'm probably going to have her for a lab this fall :confused:

Has anyone taken HLTH 245 - Canadian Health Care System. I hear its a tough course, but feel like it would give an edge on interviews.

I took it, absolutely loved it. It's not hard at all - at least, I took it in 4th year and breezed through with a 92 or something like that. It was extremely interesting and I can't express how much it helped for the Mac MMI this year. SO glad I took it. You have to get signed in if you're a non-HLTH student, but the prof is great and will do it. She'll try to scare you at the beginning, saying science students never get 90's - but just do the readings and pay attention in class and you'll be fine!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still going back and forth on two courses trying to decide which to take and wanted to know if anyone who has taken them could help me in deciding. I've got ENGL 251A (with Stan Fogel), I hear its an easy course with that prof. I also have PSYCH 307 (Human Neuropsychology), this course is only offered every 2 years and sounds extremely interesting. Can anyone who has taken either of these 2 courses provide some help.

Archived