Premed 101 Forums

U of S discussions

Hi, on the day of interviews during the tour, I asked this question to the tour guide and he said that almost no one stays in dorms and that most people stay in apartments or condos.

I agree with you though, staying on campus seems like the most convenient thing to do.

jdent

Thought I would make a thread to discuss living situations and different things concerning the U of S.

- Do you guys think it would be ill advised to stay in the dorms? Should i look for an apartment or condo, seems so much easier just to stay in the dorms.

ahh don't do dorms here in saskatoon they don't make for a very pleasant stay!

There are few types of dorms you can choose, by the way.

There is Voyageur which you have include meal plan. This dorm is located in school; 2 min walk through the tunnel. When you see people wearing flipflop and a t-shirt when it's minus 40 out, that's possible because they live in that dorm. However, you have expect low quality food. (I lived there for 2 years and I couldn't stand any longer and NEVER going back.)

There is Townhouse apartment for 6 people. Best part of this dorm is that it's the cheapest; about 3000 per year. However, you will have to share kitchen and living room with 5 different people. Also, it's about 10~15 minute walk to school depends on weather. Trust me, you will not like walking in the winter.

There is 1,2 bedroom apartment. It's moderately priced (680 for 1 bdr) but it's hard to get due to it's popularity. it is also located about 10~15 minute walking distance away from school.

Then there is dorm for private school which you would have to dig yourself. I have no info about them. Some are from STM, and some from Ukraine, etc.

I was bussing last whole year. It wasn't too bad because almost every bus stops right in front of the school. So if you get anywhere near bus stop, you wouldn't have much trouble getting to the school.

I hope these helps

If you have no car, I recommend living somewhere there is a lot of shopping nearby. Ie: behind 8th street, around broadway, lake view suburban centre, attridge/erindale. The buses from these neighbourhoods to the university are direct and there are lots of modern shopping centres offering restaurants, grocery stores, and banks. To me, I like being closer to these places than the university since I go to the university at the same time everyday on a regular schedule and you never know when you have to slip out for something.

Check out Varsity View. It is the neighbourhood directly across from the university. There are tons of basement suites and it is a quick walk. I lived across on the west side of clarence ave one year, and it was good because it was only a 20 min walk to school (but I could hop the bus along the way) and a 10 min walk to broadway (lot of pubs/indie movie theatre/neat restaurants/etc). Varsity view is a little strapped for grocery stores though the only one I know of is on Clarence and 12th st. Otherwise, its 8th street.

If you want higher end living there is downtown, which is only across the river (still walkable distance). Probably a 20 min walk or so. The bus system is very good (in my opinion) since Saskatoon is quite small. Any bus from downtown will take about 5-10 min. There really aren't any grocery stores and thats the bad part about downtown. I live on the edge of town in the east side and take the bus everyday. I love having shopping really close and handy but it depends what you are into.

Maybe pm me and tell me what you are looking for. Newer places, trendier, downtown, price range, etc. I know Saskatoon very well. But I too don't recommend residence.

As for the weather, there's going to be no way to avoid it. It gets cold and you will have to venture outside for one reason or another.

I will definitely check out some of those places and see what I come up with... I am still sort of leaning towards residence just because I have never lived on my own and it seems like an easier adjustment. Finding a good roomate i guess would be another option but I wouldn't really know where to start. I still have a couple months I guess to decide.

As far as roommates, you could always check on facebook if there is a U of S group started up or you could start one up. Chances are there are a few people out there, not coming from saskatoon. But again, I don't recommend rez, at the U of S it's usually filled with 1st and 2nd years who move out as soon as they can (don't stay for 3rd & 4th) from people I know. I was looking for a roomie about a month ago but found one. But don't worry too much, you'll find something.

I will definitely check out some of those places and see what I come up with... I am still sort of leaning towards residence just because I have never lived on my own and it seems like an easier adjustment. Finding a good roomate i guess would be another option but I wouldn't really know where to start. I still have a couple months I guess to decide.

u definitely should check for groups... even of previous dent years, and med years... because theres always people moving away who want someone to take over their rent, or else ppl who have purchased their homes who want to rent them out/rent out a room... also, as for transportation, the U of S has a UPASS, where the bus pass fee is included in our tuition... so no matter what, you're gonna have a bus pass! There are probably a lot of places for rent on Cumberland, elliot st, and others around campus that i cant think of... do u have a PAWS account with the university yet? you can search for housing there too, ppl post on a marketplace type of thing... if you don't yet, feel free to pm me, tell me what sort of thing ur looking for (bedroom only, apartment, basement suite, etc... roomate or not, so on), and i can certainly look it up on my paws for you

Thanks alot for the help guys! I'll have to talk this over with my rents and show them the different options. The facebook group for this class is just me and one other guy right now haha... and it's made private so it took me like 3 days to be accepted into the group. But if your in the class search U of S dentistry on facebook and join the group.

Archived