Premed 101 Forums

Should I buy newer editions of MCAT study guides?

Vidhya

Hey folks,

I'm planning on rewriting my MCAT this year and all the study guides I own are from a few years ago when I first wrote the exam (ironically just before they went the CBT route).

I'm not concerned about the CBT aspect since I have a number of CBT MCAT practice exams, however I'm curious if you feel that the content has changed enough to warrant buying newer editions? I have heard that Org Chem is emphasized far less now, but i'm not sure if any other significant changes have been made.

Right now I own the Examkrackers 5th edition, plus a Kaplan study guide. I would like to avoid dishing out another couple hundred dollars, so opinions are appreciated.

I've checked Kaplan books from various years and they appeared to be identical in terms of info. Practice tests are the same, as well.

Yeah they don't change much - I have the 2002 and 2008 editions. Almost the same book and that is 6 year difference :)

ACTUALLY, they do change. You have a better chance of passing witha newer edition or an edition that matches the year your are going to take the MCAT exam. I had OLD editions but i was told they are not good. So bought this years best seller MCAT book- The Gold Standard MCAT 2010 edition. It is amazing in my opinion. Better than Kaplan and Examkraker, plus it costs less. On top of that the quality is wayyy better. Wtv thatis my opinion. I actually did my research for mcat books. MCAT-BOOKSTORE.COM

Archived