Premed 101 Forums

applicant with a disability

I don't think it's gonna be a huge problem...my paramedic preceptor was missing 2 fingers (index and little finger) and he had no issues starting IVs or whatever. Might be different if you wanna go into surgery, though, I'm not sure. I would contact med schools directly to find out.

I went to see the office for students with disabilities at UBC about what support they offer for med students, and the person I spoke with told me there is a student in UBC med right now with only one arm. She said they make accommodations where necessary and he's planning to go into a field where it isn't a problem. So I'd check with the schools you want to apply to, but it sounds like there's no reason you wouldn't be just fine. They're super friendly at that office, so even if UBC isn't on your list it might be worth calling and see if they'll talk to you about the application and accommodations process -- you can always use it as ammunition if some other school says they won't support you as much. Good luck!

I don't think it's gonna be a huge problem...my paramedic preceptor was missing 2 fingers (index and little finger) and he had no issues starting IVs or whatever. Might be different if you wanna go into surgery, though, I'm not sure. I would contact med schools directly to find out.

Also, read the policy on this OMSAS page for more info (esp. if you are applying in ON):

http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/omsas-essential.html

Good luck!

:)

would you care to elaborate? i love hearing stories, lol

Lets see, one student was blind in one eye (not sure why) and another student had 3 fingers totally gone from her left hand (farming accident when she was young).

If I recall there is the (google to rescue) CANADIAN ASSOCIATION OF PHYSICIANS WITH DISABILITIES. Sounds like a group that could possible discuss any issues you have :)

As others have mentioned every school I have looked at for med school has a strict policy on not being prejudiced against someone with disabilities such as yours. Your impairment, if you want to even call it that, is so minor it wouldn't even hit the radar.

Archived