Premed 101 Forums

NSERC

Guest dogeatdog12

Guest dogeatdog12

Hi

I have no idea what the application is to fill out to work with a professor. A professor just told me what my status was with filling out the application. I haven't started yet but I have no which form it is. there 4 or 5. There is USRA and other forms. which one is it?

thanks

Guest Lactic Folly

NSERC has a lot of programs.. depends which one you're applying for - undergraduate summer research at a university? Deadline for that is around now, actually..

Guest dogeatdog12

is it possible get a suprevisor for an NSERC research grant but then decide to research elsewhere? I am currently waiting for a reply from the Banting and Best Institute but I don't want to just rely on that so I have applied to other departments regarding research. is okay to do that. suppose the professor and I are both eager to do NSERC but the B and B comes back asking me to do reserach with them. Is it okay to leave the professor in the dark like that?

thanks

dogeatdog - I did that last summer. I had an nserc at my school, and ended up going out-of-town to do a different research project. Certainly you're _allowed_, but you should discuss it with your prof so that they don't feel lke you are suddnely quitting on them. I told my NSERC prof right when I appiled to the other job that i wasn't sure about the nserc so that he wouldn't be suprised or upset when i changed my mind...

Guest Lactic Folly

Well, at U of A there is this line on the summer research webpage:

"Please be advised when making application (to more than one agency) they must be for the same Faculty/Department/Supervisor/Project."

Dunno if this is enforced or if they just want to discourage you, but I only applied for one position.. hopefully it comes through.

Archived