Premed 101 Forums

Are Doctors Overworked?

This is the question that boggles me, my immediate family says no as well as my uncles and cousins(whom are doctors).

But on this site and many others I hear about long long hours, on call duties and stress. Does every type of physician get this sort of work.

I was planning to be a family doctor, flexibility, work in an office with other doctors and have my family oriented nature still intact.

...is this a dream or a reality?

in a word: yes, but it varies according to speciality or how much you choose to work.

you should really look into shadowing a doctor. go to your family doctor's office and just ask if you can come and volunteer there. explain you want to see what it's like for a family doctor and i'm sure you'd be able to find a spot. it would be great for you to see if you really want a life like that!

being a doctor doesn't mean you will have a lot of leisure time but i mean it's not THAT bad, it's not like all the doctors you will meet are wierdos who never spend time with their family. most doctors are married and have kids, and family medicine gives you flexibility in setting up your own hours, so you can start late one day, finish early another day, like that :) however, that's only a LONG time after you've established yourself as a successful doctor and have a good patient base. until then yeah you probably will be under a lot of stress, and will be pulling long long hours when you're in residency, but it's all about how much you want to do it and why.

in a word: yes, but it varies according to speciality or how much you choose to work.

you should really look into shadowing a doctor. go to your family doctor's office and just ask if you can come and volunteer there. explain you want to see what it's like for a family doctor and i'm sure you'd be able to find a spot. it would be great for you to see if you really want a life like that!

being a doctor doesn't mean you will have a lot of leisure time but i mean it's not THAT bad, it's not like all the doctors you will meet are wierdos who never spend time with their family. most doctors are married and have kids, and family medicine gives you flexibility in setting up your own hours, so you can start late one day, finish early another day, like that :) however, that's only a LONG time after you've established yourself as a successful doctor and have a good patient base. until then yeah you probably will be under a lot of stress, and will be pulling long long hours when you're in residency, but it's all about how much you want to do it and why.

Isn't residence 2-4 years though? After you've fully graduated from medical school what are the hours like for a doctor?

yeah that's what i was saying, after you're done your residency and you start working at a clinic or set up your own practice, you get to set your own hours. you can choose to work from 9-7 or 9-5 or 12-9, or do half-days if you want! you can even mix it up and have different days with different hours. i won't say you can slack a lot in the first few years, for example i wouldn't say you can only work 3 days a week when you're starting out, cause patients want a doctor who is there for them most of the time. however after many years when you have your regular patients etc, you can play around with your hours to fit the way your life is. a lot of family doctors do this, that's why i highly recommend that you go shadow a family doctor :) you'll learn LOADS and get to see first hand what it's like!

yeah that's what i was saying, after you're done your residency and you start working at a clinic or set up your own practice, you get to set your own hours. you can choose to work from 9-7 or 9-5 or 12-9, or do half-days if you want! you can even mix it up and have different days with different hours. i won't say you can slack a lot in the first few years, for example i wouldn't say you can only work 3 days a week when you're starting out, cause patients want a doctor who is there for them most of the time. however after many years when you have your regular patients etc, you can play around with your hours to fit the way your life is. a lot of family doctors do this, that's why i highly recommend that you go shadow a family doctor :) you'll learn LOADS and get to see first hand what it's like!

Yeah, most family doctors team together in a clinic so that if their patients have an emergency and they're not working, they can go see someone else. Usually there is once a week walk-in clinic duty or something like this. If you are a rural GP, you may be expected to work in the ER as well.

There is a Family Doc that works down the street from where I live, and this is his schedule:

Monday - No doctor

Tuesday - 9 to 3

Wednesday - 10 to 3

Thursday - 10 to 3

Friday - No doctor

Weekend - No doctor

Holiday - No doctor

He actually has "NO DOCTOR" written in bold :P HAHAHA. I don't know how well established he is, but his hours do change from time to time. I walked past once where it was absolutely ridiculous:

Monday - No doctor

Tuesday - No doctor

Wednesday - No doctor

Thursday - 10 to 3

Friday - No doctor

Weekend - No doctor

Holiday - No doctor

Ramster joined the forum on July 4, 2009 and within one day created the following new threads:

1. Lost, Confused, In need of any help

2. Dentistry

3. Employment as a Dentist

4. Are Doctors Overworked?

5. GPA’s in uni

This probably has broken a record. Are there others who can match this accomplishment. If so, please step up and receive your reward. There is no guarantee you will like your reward!

Ramster joined the forum on July 4, 2009 and within one day created the following new threads:

2. Dentistry

5. GPA’s in uni

This probably has broken a record. Are there others who can match this accomplishment. If so, please step up and receive your reward. There is no guarantee you will like your reward!

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the point of these forums to post questions and start threads on things you're curious about? If Ramster wants to ask questions....what the hell is the problem here if they are in an existing thread or in a new thread. Nobody has a gun to your head and is forcing you to read his/her posts. If nobody posted, there would be nothing to read and nobody would gain from this site.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the point of these forums to post questions and start threads on things you're curious about? If Ramster wants to ask questions....what the hell is the problem here if they are in an existing thread or in a new thread. Nobody has a gun to your head and is forcing you to read his/her posts. If nobody posted, there would be nothing to read and nobody would gain from this site.

Well said triple seven!

This family doc may well be doing shifts in the emerg, doing hospitalist work, working in a sports med or other clinic like botox or seeing LTC pts etc. during the times he is not in his fam med clinic. So his posted clinic hours may not represent his total hours worked in a week.

To the OP, your hours in medicine will depend on the specialty you choose. Whether someone considers themselves to be overworked is somewhat subjective. A 70-80 hr work week is perfectly acceptable to some. Many physicians who work part-time, actually work longer hours than your average full time 40-hour work week.

So ask more specific questions to your family members in medicine, shadow some docs you know and decide for yourself how you think you will feel leading a similar lifestyle with similar responsibility.

Yeah, most family doctors team together in a clinic so that if their patients have an emergency and they're not working, they can go see someone else. Usually there is once a week walk-in clinic duty or something like this. If you are a rural GP, you may be expected to work in the ER as well.

There is a Family Doc that works down the street from where I live, and this is his schedule:

Monday - No doctor

Tuesday - 9 to 3

Wednesday - 10 to 3

Thursday - 10 to 3

Friday - No doctor

Weekend - No doctor

Holiday - No doctor

He actually has "NO DOCTOR" written in bold :P HAHAHA. I don't know how well established he is, but his hours do change from time to time. I walked past once where it was absolutely ridiculous:

Monday - No doctor

Tuesday - No doctor

Wednesday - No doctor

Thursday - 10 to 3

Friday - No doctor

Weekend - No doctor

Holiday - No doctor

2. Dentistry

5. GPA’s in uni

Lol relax man you'll scare the kid away

2. Dentistry

5. GPA’s in uni

Relax bud, why so hostile? The purpose of this forum is to get info on all these topics.

My usual schedule:

Mon: Free/Flex (semi-regular 10-3p clinic)

Tues: 9-4p hospital-based

Wed: 3p-9p clinic

Thurs: Flex (9-5p locum or 1p-4:30p community/refugee clinic)

Fri: 9-4p hospital-based + 5p-9p clinic

Sat: Free/10-4p (semi-regular locum)

Sun: Free (option to work 9-1p)

Avg work week hours: 40 (36-44)

There's always option to dial it up to 45+hour work week but I try to maintain some degree of lifestyle , especially with the student loan just paid off (yesterday :D )

My usual schedule:

Mon: Free/Flex (semi-regular 10-3p clinic)

Tues: 9-4p hospital-based

Wed: 3p-9p clinic

Thurs: Flex (9-5p locum or 1p-4:30p community/refugee clinic)

Fri: 9-4p hospital-based + 5p-9p clinic

Sat: Free/10-4p (semi-regular locum)

Sun: Free (option to work 9-1p)

Avg work week hours: 40 (36-44)

There's always option to dial it up to 45+hour work week but I try to maintain some degree of lifestyle , especially with the student loan just paid off (yesterday :D )

Woah that sounds really good! Is your pay substantially lower due to lower hours? Are you in family practice?

Woah that sounds really good! Is your pay substantially lower due to lower hours? Are you in family practice?

Yes I'm in family practice for almost 1 year now. I'd say my hours are pretty standard (36+ hr work week is "full-time" work!). I probably make approx what an average GP makes in BC, due to the relatively high volume of patients I see in clinics (5.5-7 patients/hour). Hospital-based sessions and community clinic sessions are paid at hourly rate equivalent to 5-5.5 patients/hour.

At my current age (still 20s) and marital status (single), I'll probably be happiest at low-mid 30's hours/week of work though. Gotta live a little ;)

Monday - No doctor

Tuesday - 9 to 3

Wednesday - 10 to 3

Thursday - 10 to 3

Friday - No doctor

Weekend - No doctor

Holiday - No doctor

Monday - No doctor

Tuesday - No doctor

Wednesday - No doctor

Thursday - 10 to 3

Friday - No doctor

Weekend - No doctor

Holiday - No doctor[/quote

When I saw the one day in the week, I laughed out loud. (Maybe it was vacation week)

Archived