Premed 101 Forums

Need your opinion: Chemistry major, full courseload?

Hi, I've been browsing through alot, and I have recently noticed that not having a full courseload (30credits every year) limits me in many medschools. I have not taken a full courseload in first year (took 24 credits, in fact), and this in turn eliminates my chances at McGill, makes me ineligible for U of T's weighing system so far. If I were to change my mind and start taking full courseload from now on, then I will have 3 consecutive years with 30credits (or more) which makes me still eligible for some other schools..

But the question is, is it worth taking full courseload at this point? I have been accepted to the chemistry program and into a volunteering program that spans throughout the year.

Chemistry program, as I understand it, is pretty rigorous in terms of courseload just because of the number of required chemistry courses under STT and the fact that every course has a lab attached to it. On top of that, I have to volunteer 4 hours a week.. so I'm thinking, is it worth putting myself through that much commitment just to become eligible to a couple more universities? And too much commitment may mean that I may just spread thin and not do all that well in all my courses...

I need some feedbacks and opinions. I mean, I already feel very nervous about my next year that will be filled with chem courses (two of which are ORGANIC CHEM!!) even without the full courseload! Maybe I'm being a bit of a wuss, and I'm sure there are people who have way more commitment than I do.. but I just don't want to push myself too hard and risk burning out!

But the question is, is it worth taking full courseload at this point?

If you don't take a full course load, you won't be eligible for med school when it comes time to apply. I can't imagine why you'd limit yourself to Queen's and Western right from the start (and even at these schools, you'd have to do full time your last 2 years).

Chemistry program, as I understand it, is pretty rigorous in terms of courseload just because of the number of required chemistry courses under STT and the fact that every course has a lab attached to it. On top of that, I have to volunteer 4 hours a week.. so I'm thinking, is it worth putting myself through that much commitment just to become eligible to a couple more universities? And too much commitment may mean that I may just spread thin and not do all that well in all my courses...

Dont kid yourself. Chemistry is no harder than any of the other premed programs. I did 54 credits last year (18 courses) in biomedical engineering, and volunteered 6 hours/week. You're still young, but it's best that you realize now that getting into meds is going to take everything you've got. Decide if you're up to it now, or perhaps it would be best to pursue something else.

Havn't I already limited myself to those schools anyways since I havnt taken full courseload in first year already?

I dont know if you read that part, thats what I'm worried about! I didnt take full courseload first year, and is there a way to recuperate from that by taking full course load from now on?

Thats what I meant by "whats the point?" Would I even benefit much from signing up for full courseload from now on? (second year now)

I know that providing a good reason for taking less than full courseload may work but how often do they really let you off given an excuse?

Hi, I've been browsing through alot, and I have recently noticed that not having a full courseload (30credits every year) limits me in many medschools. I have not taken a full courseload in first year (took 24 credits, in fact), and this in turn eliminates my chances at McGill, makes me ineligible for U of T's weighing system so far. If I were to change my mind and start taking full courseload from now on, then I will have 3 consecutive years with 30credits (or more) which makes me still eligible for some other schools..

But the question is, is it worth taking full courseload at this point? I have been accepted to the chemistry program and into a volunteering program that spans throughout the year.

I need some feedbacks and opinions. I mean, I already feel very nervous about my next year that will be filled with chem courses (two of which are ORGANIC CHEM!!) even without the full courseload! Maybe I'm being a bit of a wuss, and I'm sure there are people who have way more commitment than I do.. but I just don't want to push myself too hard and risk burning out!

Hey, I graduated from Chemistry at UWO. What school are you at?

You are right that Chemistry is a very rigourous program. You will likely have around 24 hours of class a week (including labs). Lab reports are usually due every week or every two weeks. Each of the major divisions of Chemistry has a lab component (save for Physical Chemistry), so Orgo, Inorgo and Analytical. There are usually assingments and what not to do as well. The good thing and I suppose bad thing is that Chemistry is a relatively small program, so professors will have more time to give out assignments and presentations. So you are definitely looking at more work than larger programs.

It's not easy, but you can get pretty decent grades in the program if you can keep up with the work.

One piece of advice (more of an observation). If you have a hard time grasping abstract concepts I would stay away from chemistry. Courses in physical chemistry, specifically quantum mechanics and thermodynamics, can be extremely difficult due to their abstract nature. Trust me when I tell you that Orgo is the least of your worries.

Also, I wouldn't take 1st year chem as an indication of what Chemistry will be like.

Ultimately, however, every program has its difficulties and you can't really go wrong choosing one over the other. I would say, when choosing a program you should take into consideration what you are good at and what you are interested in.

Anyhow, if you have questions PM me.

I'm doing a chemistry major (almost done, just one more year). It's true that there's a lab attached to every chem course, and yes lab reports are very time consuming, but doing all of that as a full course load and volunteering ~4 hours a week is doable. I personally only volunteer ~2-3 hours a week so it can be done; I used to do 7 hours of volunteer work a week and that was definitely too much. Go for the full course load now, otherwise you will regret not doing it because just about every med school requires it.

I should also add that chem is a varied subject. It's qualitative and quantative and you must be able to visualize in 3-D (you will when the time comes). Also, it's assumed that you have a reasonable grasp of math and calculus (especially in the physical/quantum mechanics chemistry courses); so if you can't do that, I suggest not doing chem.

btw, chem is fun, especially in the labs :D

Archived