Premed 101 Forums

bad start to first year

Guest Chowchilla

Guest Chowchilla

hey everyone,

yaaay...i got into univ and all that..but boo, im failing and doing really poorly.

hah. it's so bloody frustrating. i mean, i did quite well in high school...and now i come to univ and THIS is what i get...

how did you all cope? or was everyone really super smart and found it a breeze...maybe i don't belong...blah.

chow ='(

Guest cheech10

Don't worry; a lot of people find first year difficult. Many schools will factor this in by dropping lowest years or courses. The important thing is to try to find out why you're not doing so well, and try to fix those problems. Don't lose heart! Many students have gotten in after poor first (and second!) years.

You need to identify WHY you are having problems as soon as possible and devise a strategy to address these.....do you have difficulty IN class (ie can't keep up with lecture speed/content/style) or is it more a "I thought I knew what I was doing and then got smoked on the exam"? Is it a time management issue??? See if your school has any kind of learning or writing services department....at Guelph you can book an appointment to meet with an upper year student to get advice on taking notes, studying strategies, time management, exam writing strategies, etc...these can be quite helpful!!! Don't give up....university learning is much different than high school, but if you did well there, you have the capacity to do well at university too....you may just need to devise an alternative plan of attack.

Archived