Premed 101 Forums

applying from pharmacy

hey,

I was wondering if anyone knew how med schools look at students applying from professional programs. I going to be applying from 2nd year pharmacy and I already have a 4 year Hon B.Sc under my belt. How will my gpa be calculated? last 4 years? (2 from pharm, 2 from undergrad?)

Also, I contacted western and they said I could only apply at the end of my program (i.e. beginning of 4th year). Can't they just use my undergrad gpa??

Thanks for any help in advance.

I think some schools are reluctant to take people who are currently enrolled in/completed a professional program. Because resources are limited, it's hard to justify training someone in one profession (e.g. law, pharmacy, etc) just to have them do another. Any professional training costs much much more than the tuition, fundings must provide full time faculty, facility, and numerous other resources.

I think some schools are reluctant to take people who are currently enrolled in/completed a professional program. Because resources are limited, it's hard to justify training someone in one profession (e.g. law, pharmacy, etc) just to have them do another. Any professional training costs much much more than the tuition, fundings must provide full time faculty, facility, and numerous other resources.

I heard otherwise. Mac and Ottawa MDs I talked to mentioned having pharmacists in their class who finished one professional program and started another. They actually mentioned that coming from a professional program made a candidate unique. Anyway, it's worth a shot.

hey,

I was wondering if anyone knew how med schools look at students applying from professional programs. I going to be applying from 2nd year pharmacy and I already have a 4 year Hon B.Sc under my belt. How will my gpa be calculated? last 4 years? (2 from pharm, 2 from undergrad?)

Also, I contacted western and they said I could only apply at the end of my program (i.e. beginning of 4th year). Can't they just use my undergrad gpa??

Thanks for any help in advance.

Western has a general policy of forcing anyone to finish the UG they are currently enrolled in. Unfortunately most professional programs, including medicine for that matter, are actually undergraduate degrees. If they follow their normal rules western will only use grades from your professional degree.

Archived