Premed 101 Forums

Doctor demands $3000 from airline for treating patient

i think they should compensate him for the second patient, but 3000 is ridiculously excessive, perhaps 500? doctors are people too and maybe he just wanted to enjoy his holiday :)???

I can`t speak to the real motivations of this doc. But I have a feeling it was just to make a point to the airline that he was taken advantage of.

I doubt the airline would have made a fuss and even really noticed $500. I once got $800 just for volunteering to take a flight that was 1 or 2 hours later (can`t remember now) on a flight that was overbooked (whole other issue that bothers me about airlines!). So I am not sure what is considered fair compensation for being requested to provide medical service.

A 3k claim though certainly got people (at least here) talking about it. And unfortunately, I think most people are gonna see the doc as the bad guy.

I think the real issue here is not about the collecting a service-type fee. I'd assume it was Air Canada that pissed him off with forms and more legal documents, then didn't offer him a decent and respectful reward and he felt offended. I think this is his way of screwing with the "system", because we so often get screwed by it! Don't judge until you know the WHOLE story.

Archived