Premed 101 Forums

Anyone else stressed?

Guest Biochem10

Guest Biochem10

Hi. I just thought I'd search out other people who are completing their med school applications and are as stressed out as I am! I'm having a horrible time completing these essays (u of T and mac) and I'm even wondering if it's worth it for u of T. My gpa is 3.68 without scaling, so I know that's a little low, but it does go up after taking out 3 classes. If anyone has advice or comments, pls. post. Thanks.

Hey Biochem10,

I'm in a similar situation as you. I'm also wondering whethering I should be spending time on the U of T essay. Just got my MCAT scores today. I got an 8 on VR (boooo!). U of T instructions on the MCAT seem so ambiguous though. They say that anything below 9 is unacceptable and will jeopardize my application. How can something that is unacceptable still be able to jeopardize my success. I think I'm tired :x

Guest Biochem10

Hi SoHo,

Don't worry too much about your MCAT score, I know how it feels to be so close to the cut-offs, yet so far. I got a 9 on VR, so i can't apply to Queen's (because the cut-off is 10). For U of T, I would just apply anyway, especially because I've heard they're not too anal about MCAT scores. It's nice to see that I'm not the only one who's worried though! Take it easy this week...get some rest!

Hey Biochem10,

Thanks for the encouragement. You should go ahead and apply to Queen's and U of T anyway. As will I. Really, we have nothing to lose! At the worst, our egos will be a bit bruised and our pockets a little emptier :) Plus, you never know, the Queen's verbal cut-off may drop to 9 since (I think) it's also based on the applicant pool.

Cheers,

SoHo

Guest batman

well, you have a bit of a point with U of T, they aren't too picky with the MCAT if you're one point below the cutoff on one of the sections, providing that everything else (ie. GPA, GPA, GPA) is solid. Last year I got a 7 in the VR, applied blindly to U of T, and somehow got an interview but perpetually waitlisted after. I rewrote it again this summer and got a 9, but i don't know about wasting money to apply to Queens - that 10 in the VR seems to be what separates them from everybody else. By the way the trends in MCAT scores are heading, it doesn't look like anything is going down any time soon - especially if its based on the applicant pool, which it is. UWO raised theirs to 9's across the board last year, and U of T followed suit this year (to a lot of people's disappointment)...so the trend is definitely uphill.

my 2 cents

Archived