Premed 101 Forums

GPA question mcgill student

OMSAS has a different grading system from what i've noticed compared to mcgill. an 85+ for instance is a 3.9, whereas at mcgill anything over an 85 is a 4.0 on a 4.0 scale. mcgill doesnt display numerical grades on their transcript at least not on their unofficial one, and rarely are we aware of our numerical grade, since teachers only hand out letter grades. so my question is when applying to an ontario med school do they look into whether or not the mcgill A's are a 3.9 or a 4.0?

• 2 weeks later...

McGill stopped using numerical marks in 2001 or thereabouts on their transcripts. If you were unlucky enough to have done all or part of your undergraduate at McGill before then, you are subjected to the 85-93% = 3.9 for OMSAS for courses where a number is indicated. If there is no numerical grade, your A=4.0, even if it was an 85-92%, since OMSAS has no way of knowing your numerical grade.

I hope this helps.

I did my undergrad during the switch over. Some marks have % grades, some don't. Those of us with % grades got screwed over in more categories than the 3.9 vs. 4.0 one...

Be glad if you're going to school there now. Your 85 and above A's are safely 4.0 :D

wow..I needed to get 90+ for a 4.0. 5 makes a big difference.

Wow...that seems like the greatest deal ever, the 4.0 cGPAs must be flying off the wall there :/

every university has their advantages/disadvantages. and no the 4.0 don't come any easier than other universities from what i hear. afterall mcgill isnt exactly one of those small-scale universities that don't really take part in research or one that has a real easy science program. remember most schools tend to curve their marks anyways to get a certain distribution.

Archived