Premed 101 Forums

The Required English Courses by Canadian University... replaceable by Writing courses

Alright, let me hear your 2cents.

I attend Queen's University and they offer English and Writing courses. I know that pretty much every single University outside of Ontario require a full year of English.

But would one be able to substitute writing courses for these english courses?

I've tried to call all of these schools, and they do not know. I've called my school, and they do not know.

Nobody is sure of anything and it is really frustrating!

Maybe I should just taken an English course.... ugh.

Alright, let me hear your 2cents.

I attend Queen's University and they offer English and Writing courses. I know that pretty much every single University outside of Ontario require a full year of English.

But would one be able to substitute writing courses for these english courses?

I've tried to call all of these schools, and they do not know. I've called my school, and they do not know.

Nobody is sure of anything and it is really frustrating!

Maybe I should just taken an English course.... ugh.

Dalhousie does not have any specific course requirements. Saskatchewan also does not require 2 english courses.

HEY GUYS

I need your opinion on this.

okay, so we know that it's much harder for students OUT OF PROVINCE to get into a school than a student IN province.

I have a mediocre GPA at the moment (3.465.. going into 3rd year).

You do not require English OR biochemistry in Med Schools in Ontario.

Therefore, should I....

1. just forget about the out of province path and just take easy courses to boost up your GPA (I'm bad at English and biochem) to increase my chances in getting accepted IN province?

2. or try to increase my chances of getting accepted ACROSS CANADA by taking English and Biochem? But this would not improve my GPA because I am not very good at English and Biochem...

let me hear your 2 cents!

Frankly, I think step 1 is much more logical... wouldn't you agree?

If you aren't good at english, and don't think you can do well, and you need to boost your gpa over the next couple of years, i would definately say not to take an english... seeing as how you would be taking english just to be able to apply OOP, but you say that your marks would take a hit, there would be no point... because there are so few OOP spots, you need to have really high marks to be considered (as i understand it)... so taking an english, just to be considered, but then not having as high a gpa as possible, doesn't make sense to me

maybe consider doing correspondance english courses... i have never taken one, but i hear they're extremely easy, and i think the universities count them (can anyone verify this?)

good luck

I might be mistaken, but don't many U.S. schools require English courses as well? I did not actually apply outside of Canada, and so I'm not entirely sure ... but if you're planning on keeping the U.S. route open, you might want to consider taking English (can someone please confirm?).

Otherwise I agree that it's not worth taking English to satisfy the requirements of OOP schools - as Mattg said, they have sooo few spots that it's not really worth the risk :)

Good luck! :)

If you aren't good at english, and don't think you can do well, and you need to boost your gpa over the next couple of years, i would definately say not to take an english... seeing as how you would be taking english just to be able to apply OOP, but you say that your marks would take a hit, there would be no point... because there are so few OOP spots, you need to have really high marks to be considered (as i understand it)... so taking an english, just to be considered, but then not having as high a gpa as possible, doesn't make sense to me

maybe consider doing correspondance english courses... i have never taken one, but i hear they're extremely easy, and i think the universities count them (can anyone verify this?)

good luck

Distance Education English courses are acceptable; however, they are not necessarily easier. Depending upon your professor you will be left to read all of the required "readings, texts, course notes, etc." with very little discussion or guidance. Because of limited class participation (unless you have a requisite discussion board), some profs will add on extra papers or work for distance students to complete. AND FINALLY--some online English and Composition courses will require you to videotape formal presentations. Be prepared, they will grade your pronunciation, clothing, presentation, etc. I used this opportunity to "prepare" for upcoming interviews...but if you are weak in English, this may not be for you.

I'm not sure about correspondence courses--but I've heard similar stories.

I've decided to just go with option number 1.

Why bother going through all that trouble only to be rejected?

Might as well increase my chances with what I've got at home.

Thanks for your input guys.

That's what I would do in your place as well. OOP GPA requirements are generally higher than IP regardless of the english requirement.

Archived