Premed 101 Forums

Working in the Middle East

OK.

I care about people a great deal as i believe all of us do on here. However, I care about my family much more then anyone else.

I agree, If I didn't experience the death in my family I probably wouldn't feel as strongly about the issue. It seems the things we care so strongly for are those that affect/ed us and our families personally.

There's alot of issues that can be argued back and forth (private care vs public care etc etc). And to be quite honest I don't know enough about them thorougly to tamper into them. Im saying at this point in time a major factor is what happened to my family in my own rationale thinking. I recognize my previous post is a drop in an ocean towards influencing people -- money and "taking care of themselves" are where the real deals are cut for people.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

However, If you want to discuss waiting lists maybe we should consider incorporating private medicine with public medicine on a larger scale.

I believe they tried an experiment in Manitoba. The result was that if physicians split their hours between private and public, wait times increased at both sectors. If they chose either to practice private or public...the public wait times increase something like 3-fold (can't remember the numbers). I think it was published in CMAJ.

wow...... yeah, if that article is correct I don't think I could either.

Although I am not sure any other country would have developed that fast either without similar issues. It is almost like examining western countries 100-150 years ago. We weren't really any better.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember reading that article on Dubai a few months ago. It was unsettling to say the least, especially I had recently watched the movie Slumdog Millionaire.

Marketing for jobs in Dubai contain, well, a lot of marketing. They want to make everything look good and problem-free, more desirable than how it is where you are currently located. But if you look deeper, like every country the social system is very complex and you won't know all the details sometimes until you are directly involved.

I'm not saying that no one should move there, just that they should be aware that travel brochures are marketing.

Archived