Premed 101 Forums

Online application error? Alberta Resident Start Date Confusion

During registration it says that to be an Alberta Resident you must have lived 12 months prior to the start date.

It says you must have moved to Alberta before July 20.

How does that work? I thought that school started near the end of August? So as long as you moved before the end of August you were fine...someone correct me??

from the U of C admissions team.

She said that you need to have moved prior to July 29th the year prior to admissions, which is technically considered the beginning of the semester. She did however say that they recognized that people are often unable to get leases prior to August 1st and that documentation would suffice. She said they recognize that the documentation they require might not start until the beginning of August.

neuro1986:

have you started your Alberta application?

Just so you know, in the preliminary application it asks two questions:

1. Are you an Alberta resident? Yes or No

2. If you click Yes it says to put down the date of your arrival. (Apparently if you put down a date after 20th of July, it does not accept it.)

I'm gonna call 'em today.

darn it...i'm a moron then. I just put down july 19th so that I could get to the medicine applicaiton, because I thought that would take time. Any idea, how do I correct my arrival date then? I can't seem to correct the preliminary file data.

that makes perfect sense, Lostlamb!

hmmm good question...I haven't opened the current application yet for UofA so I don't know how things roll for this year. I think after you submit the prelim. app they then give you a login for the actual app (or secondary app, can't remember the nomenclature). Again, I recall being able to change the date once I was at the secondary stage.

I am sure if you want to get started, just put in the date the works and then talk to admissions if you cannot alter it later. Surely they will understand the reasoning and will do it manually for you. They were always very nice!

you must have been living in Alberta prior to July 20th and be able to prove it- this is not the same as Calgary's policy. There is not more than one way to satisfy their requirement- the 1 year prior to admissions requirement IS NOT flexible and you must have been here before July 20th.

LostLamb is right, I believe. A friend of mine registered today and the same thing happened to him. The latest date he was able to put as the date he started living in Alberta was July 21st. (The latest date I was able to put in was the 19th, and I did mine two days ago.)

So I think it is more of a programming issue then. You can only put it a 'previous' date and not a 'future' date. I talked to the registrar's and they said that anyone would be a albertan resident if they moved exactly 12 months prior to the year the admission is sought for.

Neuro1986: maybe the admissions person misunderstood?

in any case, I would make sure that there's written proof; calling them personally is great but if there's some discrepancy later on, my guess is word of mouth wouldn't hold much

BTW, where did you guys find that you have to move to Alberta before July 20th? I search the UofA website and didn't find a specifically stated date

LostLamb is right, I believe. A friend of mine registered today and the same thing happened to him. The latest date he was able to put as the date he started living in Alberta was July 21st. (The latest date I was able to put in was the 19th, and I did mine two days ago.)

So I think it is more of a programming issue then. You can only put it a 'previous' date and not a 'future' date. I talked to the registrar's and they said that anyone would be a albertan resident if they moved exactly 12 months prior to the year the admission is sought for.

QFT 10 char

Neuro1986: maybe the admissions person misunderstood?

She understood my question perfectly- maybe she doesn't have the right information. That is exactly what she told me. if she is wrong and there is another policy, they need to alter the website and someone should facilitate this change.

I seem to remember that last year, it wouldn't let me put my actual start date of living in AB (aug 1 2008) until that date had passed.

- to be honest, despite what the admissions woman told me, she didn't sound entirely confident in her assessment of the situation. I would keep trying to get to the bottom of this until you feel confident in the final decision. Speak to an admissions person until you are sure they have provided you with the final say.

Archived