Premed 101 Forums

chances?

3.4 Gpa© with a 3.8 in the last 3 semesters, rest of the courses were several years ago, and 8 VR score. Wondering if it is worth applying to Mac?

I dont think Mac would be a good idea for you considering your cGPA, and 8 VR. I had higher than that 3.9 cGPA, and I didnt even get an interview (maybe my essays were unsatisfactory?). Are you from Ontario? Try Ottawa (no MCAT required). Dal only looks at your most recent 2 years (4 semesters), and I think Alberta looks at best 3 years.

For schools that look at the overall cGPA, your 3.4 is probably going to be too low. And IMO 8VR might not cut it for Mac.

Thanks for the short and sweet answer. I am not from Ontario, so I imagine my chances would be even less.

For Dal, I would have a 3.8 in the last 4 semesters, although 3 were recent and 1 was >10 years ago. And I did 3 courses per semester while I worked fulltime. Would this matter?

thanks again

Thanks for the short and sweet answer. I am not from Ontario, so I imagine my chances would be even less.

For Dal, I would have a 3.8 in the last 4 semesters, although 3 were recent and 1 was >10 years ago. And I did 3 courses per semester while I worked fulltime. Would this matter?

thanks again

Dal does not specifically say they require a "full course load". The do say that you must be a full time student. 3 courses should be considered full time, but your situation is unique as you have a 10 year gap. You should contact the admissions office about your situation. However, a 3.8 cGPA at Dal is competitive. Whats the rest of your MCAT look like?

Also, consider your IP school (if your not from the maritimes).

edit: BTW, Dal's admissions office is closed for vacations until Aug 7, so you prob wont get a reply until after that.

I interviewed at my IP school this year and did great with that, but they said that my cGpa was not high enough. I was not happy to hear how much credit they gave to the courses I did right after high school many years ago. Medicore marks, but all A's in my recent semesters to finish my degree. Still not sure about reapplying, since I cannot change those marks from many years ago. Mcat is ok, will rewite for a better mark though. Looking at schools that may look past my not so stellar marks 10 years ago.

Did a quick search to no avail. Ontario, however, considers full-time to be 4 or greater, is this different in NS?

perhaps it might be a NS thing. All the schools in NS count 9 credit hours/semester (usually 3 classes) as full time.

• 5 weeks later...
I thought Dalhousie only looked at your last 2 years! Yikes.

Does anyone know if Dalhousie and Western for that matter looks at your cGPA at all after? Is Queen's the only school that really doesn't care about GPA after you make the cutoffs?

I believe both schools don't use cGPA at all. U of S also don't care for OOP what your GPA is post interview (but that is OOP only) but Queens is the main school that disregards completely GPA post interview.

Archived