Premed 101 Forums

Would I have a chance???

I don't know the ins and outs of US applications. I would try posting this query in the American schools forum, as well do a search there to see what the minimum schooling requirements are.

If you truly are not concerned where you receive your MD and cost is not a factor for you, would you consider the high school entry (6 year) stream at the Irish med schools? I sometimes think that if someone had told me I could go to med school straight out of undergrad, I would have a lot less grief now, even if I had to fight an uphill battle to become accredited in Canada.

Good luck,

LL

i am a haploid sperm... assuming i fertilize an egg, attend elementary, junior and senior high school, get into university and achieve a 3.8+ gpa and 35+ MCAT and really focus on some great EC's... can i do surgery someday?

...sorry, i had to.

i am a haploid sperm... assuming i fertilize an egg, attend elementary, junior and senior high school, get into university and achieve a 3.8+ gpa and 35+ MCAT and really focus on some great EC's... can i do surgery someday?

...sorry, i had to.

lol, okay, if you can read, i said i was sorry if it was a stupid question, you couldve just explained why, not be a smartass, thanks.

Im entering my first year of undergrad. I plan on writing the MCAT after my first year. However i will need to know more organic chemistry, so i already have my chem. teacher toteach me what is outlined in 2nd yr organic chemistry. Assuming that I manage a good gpa (3.8+) first year, and do well on the MCAT, would i have a chance of getting into ANY medical school in the US. It just seems like there are so many, and that if I do well first year, and assuming everything goes well with the MCAT, and take the MCAT prep courses in May, that i should be able to get accepted SOMEWHERE in the US(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_medical_schools_in_the_United_States). I dont understand why everyone doesnt do this. Why not go anywhere you get accepted? You will still end up being an MD. Is the chance of not being able to come back to canada after graduating in the US, and the cost of going to school elsewhere the reasons as to why people dont go away? Sorry if it is a stupid question, THANKS!!

Why the rush to write the mcat? why not write it after 2nd year after doing organic chem? most med schools in the US will say they only require 90 credits (i.e. 3 full yrs) but most will only accept students with a 4 yr degree anyway. also, medical schools in the US vary greatly in terms of quality of education. It's not the same as Canada where education is regulated. Therefore, you have a better shot at a competitive residency if you go to a reputable school and not just "any school" for the sake of having an MD. An MD is useless without residency.

Why the rush to write the mcat? why not write it after 2nd year after doing organic chem? most med schools in the US will say they only require 90 credits (i.e. 3 full yrs) but most will only accept students with a 4 yr degree anyway. also, medical schools in the US vary greatly in terms of quality of education. It's not the same as Canada where education is regulated. Therefore, you have a better shot at a competitive residency if you go to a reputable school and not just "any school" for the sake of having an MD. An MD is useless without residency.

thanks for the reply!

...sorry, i had to.

LOL

so, many, commas.

and LOL again.

Im entering my first year of undergrad. I plan on writing the MCAT after my first year. However i will need to know more organic chemistry, so i already have my chem. teacher toteach me what is outlined in 2nd yr organic chemistry. Assuming that I manage a good gpa (3.8+) first year, and do well on the MCAT, would i have a chance of getting into ANY medical school in the US. It just seems like there are so many, and that if I do well first year, and assuming everything goes well with the MCAT, and take the MCAT prep courses in May, that i should be able to get accepted SOMEWHERE in the US(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_medical_schools_in_the_United_States). I dont understand why everyone doesnt do this. Why not go anywhere you get accepted? You will still end up being an MD. Is the chance of not being able to come back to canada after graduating in the US, and the cost of going to school elsewhere the reasons as to why people dont go away? Sorry if it is a stupid question, THANKS!!

In addition to what Madz posted, have you looked at the US tuition fees? :eek:

Further, make sure you really want to do this as a career (and not just get a MD for the sake of it).

Best wishes!

mayerr, you ask "why not go anywhere you get accepted?" and imply that going to med school in USA is the cat's meow. While some of us may prefer a US medical school, most of us don't and for many reasons. The standards at all Canadian med schools are the same and bring us to the same place. Our education to become doctors is highly subsidized by the government, making medical edu8cation affordable for us even though we will be required to take out bank loans anyhow. For most of us, the cost of tuition, travel, room and board in the US, plus the exchange rate surplus, is prohibitively expensive. And while not intending to knock the US schools, 'made in USA', while an option, is not reality for most of us.

Being a Canadian, who came to Canada as a refugee and was granted permission to stay on compassionate grounds, I very much would like to pay back my debt owed to Canada by practicing in Canada and not in USA, therefore, it makes sense for me to go to med school here, ideally if possible, in the city where I intend to live and practice.

I got a 3.74 GPA in my first year of UG and did much better last year. I am about to write MCAT and don't have a clue how it will turn out. I do expect to do well for my final year of UG. I have over 500 hours of working with trauma patients in EMS and with chronic elderly patients in exercise rehabilitation at a wellness centre. I have many longterm ECs, including national competitive awards. I consider myself an average applicant with a shot at it, with luck playing a major role. I am realistic enough t o realize that I may need to apply for many years, and I have a Plan B in healthcare that I will enjoy, that will alow me help others, that will may the bills and that will make me an even better candidate. I am in no rush, another year or two or three over a lifetime of perhaps 90 plus is not going to make a significant difference.

It is good that you are keen. The transition from high school to UG is more difficult than you believe perhaps. Moreover, you should enjoy your UG years, in addition to doing well in terms of GPA. Don't be in such a rush, all this is so new to you. Relax, enjoy the journey, understand that it occurs with many small steps, and setbacks, and all will unfold in time. You have not asked any stupid questions. Once in UG, you will need to rely more on your own resources and you will find the best way to study and retain information for yourself. I found this took me time after leaving high school, and in fact, my grades went down at first, lower than I expected. I would recommend that you refrain from involving yourself in any ECS during ther first term until you have adjusted to university life. I wish you every success.:P

Archived