Premed 101 Forums

plastics lifestyle?

There is a lot of talk of plastics being a lifestyle specialty, which I guess compared to something like Gen Surg it is, but they do work hard. Many of the plastics consultans I know work a lot of hours, and operate a lot. Their clinics have a lot of procedures compared with almost any other specialty.

The bottom line is that its still a surgical specialty and you are going to work hard.

There is a lot of talk of plastics being a lifestyle specialty, which I guess compared to something like Gen Surg it is, but they do work hard. Many of the plastics consultans I know work a lot of hours, and operate a lot. Their clinics have a lot of procedures compared with almost any other specialty.

The bottom line is that its still a surgical specialty and you are going to work hard.

yes, i'm well aware of how hard they work, but i want specifics. I know in residency you'll probably hit close to if not over 100 hours/week. The attending i talked to said he works 60-70 hours/week during the academic year with about 2.5 OR days per week but i want to hear from others since my experience is n=1.

also, are there plastic surgeons not in academic institutions? what kind of population does a city need to sustain a plastic surgeon ie 100K, 200K?

I spent a week shadowing on the plastics service back in June, and the hours seemed okay as surgical specialties go. That week my preceptor was the only one around and so he was in the OR the entire time - most days he'd have been done around 5:30/6, but Friday was later, and I didn't interpret his not being in the OR after that time as meaning that he'd gone home.

So, it's busy, and there are opportunities in both large and smaller centres because of the trauma/burns side of things. I remain really interested in it, but I'm still scared by the competition...

Archived