Premed 101 Forums

graduate student vs. undergraduate student in applying medical school

Hi, I have a question which cannot be answered by ppl around me.

I've heard a rumour saying that there are some advantages when applying medical school after you finish the master's program. Is it true that student's with master's degree have advantages, such as low GPA expectation, priority in application ..etc?

thanks in advance

Look around. You get next to no special treatment. If you have a low UG GPA and do a master's, you don't get any better treatment than if you just have a low UG GPA and don't do a master's.

Not true. Both Queens and Toronto give you some "special treatment" if you have completed a Master's, and McMaster gives you something like one extra "point" on your application (for Mac you need to be DONE your masters at the time of application). I should say that this is how it worked last year, I have not read this years OMSAS manual.

Im too lazy right now to find the links to support my statements, but in the individual forums there is an uber amount discussion on these topics.

PS - I am an example of Queen's giving special treatment. I am a Master's student, and was interviewed (and accepted, woop woop) at Queens even though my undergrad gpa was probably below their cutoff. However, as a grad, they still considered me because my mcat met the cutoff.

Archived