Premed 101 Forums

New Queen's grading system

http://www.queensjournal.ca/story/2009-07-28/news/gpas-make-their-mark-transcripts/

No numerical grades will be used starting in May 2011. 85-89 will be considered 4.0s on transcripts. What implications does this have for OMSAS conversions?

I'm interested because I apply in September 2010, so if OMSAS does take this change into account, then it will have its effect the next year. I find that a little unfair, seeing as I have lots of 85-89 (currently 3.9) that would really boost my GPA if they became 4.0s.

blah, that is unfair to the rest of us.....

UofT also has the same grading system where 85-89 is considered 4.0, but the range is considered 3.9 according to OMSAS conversion scale. And UofT and Queen's currently belong to the same category. So I don't think there would be a change.

cool :) , that sounds more fair

cool :) , that sounds more fair

Interesting! But if Queens doesn't report percentages anymore, then how would you enter anything different on the OMSAS grade report? If you had someone's transcript you wouldn't know if they got a 85, 90, 95 or 100 in a course as in all cases the transcript would show a 4.0? The student wouldn't even know. Actually the entire concept of a percentage may no longer exist as well - Arts papers from instance may just be given a letter grade, so there isn't an actual percentage at any point in the system :)

There doesn't seem to be an easy way to determine which OMSAS category that would equate to?

Interesting! But if Queens doesn't report percentages anymore, then how would you enter anything different on the OMSAS grade report? If you had someone's transcript you wouldn't know if they got a 85, 90, 95 or 100 in a course as in all cases the transcript would show a 4.0? The student wouldn't even know. Actually the entire concept of a percentage may no longer exist as well - Arts papers from instance may just be given a letter grade, so there isn't an actual percentage at any point in the system :)

There doesn't seem to be an easy way to determine which OMSAS category that would equate to?

They will have letter grades - maybe OMSAS-wise, they will belong to the same category as McMaster. But, it's still the same because A, which is 85-89, will be 3.9 where as A+, which is 90+, will be 4.0 according to OMSAS.

They will have letter grades - maybe OMSAS-wise, they will belong to the same category as McMaster. But, it's still the same because A, which is 85-89, will be 3.9 where as A+, which is 90+, will be 4.0 according to OMSAS.

Ahh ok, that makes sense! No real difference then except I guess that will make this a little interesting in a few places - U of S raw percentage OOP criteria for instance, but they already have some conversion rules in place for other schools.

ok, I'll bite - what one earth does a 6489 in a course mean :)

In the old academic unit system some classes were worth 72 units, some 36, some 42, 108, etc....I think it was just the number of hours. So your class rank and stuff was determined from a weighted score...

So say you got a 90 in a 72 AU course...you'd get 6480 points for that class. I'm not really sure why they even did this, but there were a lot of 4 and 5 digit numbers on my transcript.

Archived