Premed 101 Forums

Full Courseload

bkool4ya4

I know taking 5.0 credits a year is a full courseload..

but which schools actually needs you to have full courseload in all years in university? I know Western takes 2 best years that have been taken with full courseload...

I'm planning to take 4.0 credits .... so I want to know if that's okay for med schools as in considering the marks for that year...?

thanks,

Western won't consider years in which less than 5.0 credits are taken (Sept-April), and if you don't take 5.0 credits each year, you can't take advantage of the weighting formula at UofT... as per Mac, Ottawa, Queens, I'm pretty sure they're fine with it... but to be honest, if you're thinking of medicine, I would take 5.0 credits per year (Sept-April)... not only should you be able to handle that pretty easily if you want to eventually be taking on medical school, but also I'm pretty sure any med school would be really reluctant to take someone who took only 4.0 credits per year

Western won't consider years in which less than 5.0 credits are taken (Sept-April), and if you don't take 5.0 credits each year, you can't take advantage of the weighting formula at UofT... as per Mac, Ottawa, Queens, I'm pretty sure they're fine with it... but to be honest, if you're thinking of medicine, I would take 5.0 credits per year (Sept-April)... not only should you be able to handle that pretty easily if you want to eventually be taking on medical school, but also I'm pretty sure any med school would be really reluctant to take someone who took only 4.0 credits per year

For Ottawa U you need to have 5 credits per year, but you can use summer school courses to make up those credits as long as you take it immediately following the year you did not have a full course load. So for example in 2nd year you take 4 credits, you have to take 1 credit worth of courses in the summer between 2nd and 3rd year.

I know taking 5.0 credits a year is a full courseload..

I'm planning to take 4.0 credits .... so I want to know if that's okay for med schools as in considering the marks for that year...?

thanks,

If you are planning to start off by breaking the rules and you expect this to be ignored, then in reality you should not be thinking about medicine. As another poster said, how can med schools judge your capability to withstand strenuous study? B/c you tell them you can, I don't think so.

This is not a situation where you already made an honest mistake. You are planning to do this despite what you know and I am unable to understand either your judgment, motivation or what you expect to get out of this. Read the OMSAS Booklet and review the websites of those med schools that interest you so as to confirm their precise requirements - and then be guided accordingly. You alone are responsible for the consequences of your actions so proceed at your own risk.

I think if you outline good reasons for your choices with respect to courseload within your application, then you should be clear on that front. However, I did say "good reasons"! Giving yourself more time to focus on coursework by dropping a class is NOT a good reason.

I took 5.0 first year and I took 4.5 credits in both of my second and third year... the reason I want to take 4.0 credits is that I would most likely go for another to take physics and english so I didn't want to risk my chances of getting a good mark this year since I can always fill up the credits next year.......hmmmmmmmm

I'm just gonna say flat out, unless you are working a full-time job or something like that... like another poster said, a "good reason" to not have a full course load, I would just take one... I didn't know you had already done 3 years... if you don't take 5.0 courses next year, you are firstly disqualifying yourself from Western, and I don't think it would look very good at any of the other schools... having taken 9/10 courses in 2nd and 3rd year, a full course-load 4th year, and good marks, could probably salvage 2 non-full years, but otherwise, I dunno...

I dropped a course (0.5 credits) 2nd year (and took a course the following summer), and I am worried about the extent to which just that one drop alone will affect my app... I definately wouldn't be considering adding to it...

just my opinion:D

Archived