Premed 101 Forums

Practicing with a M.D. for the MCAT?

mhc7795

This idea just stumbled through my head today. If I were good friends or I have parents who know the doctor personally, would they mind if I ask them for MCAT preparation methods or even come help me study for the MCAT one-on-one? Or is this a ridiculous idea?

This idea just stumbled through my head today. If I were good friends or I have parents who know the doctor personally, would they mind if I ask them for MCAT preparation methods or even come help me study for the MCAT one-on-one? Or is this a ridiculous idea?

The MD will have written the MCAT 6+ years ago, and likely won't be a lot of help as a coach. If I had to write again, I'd probably get a really pathetic score. I suspect most docs are the same.

Purely on the practical side the MD does actually have any additional MCAT insight compared to the standard alternatives. In fact he/she is likely very rusty on the very materiel you need to cover. How often to MDs write essays, use organic chemistry, physics etc? How long ago did they study those things - a decade ago?

Ok, first off in regards to a poster above: MD's are still people. If your uncle or aunt or someone was a MD, i'm sure they'd be willing to help if you asked. You're making it seem kind of callous.

Second, as someone else mentioned above...most likely the MD's have forgotten nearly everything required for the mcat. Most people forget it after a few weeks! There's no need to remember physics or organic chemistry so likely they won't even know. Probably the only thing they could help you out with is their tips for study habits or something along those lines.

Ok, first off in regards to a poster above: MD's are still people. If your uncle or aunt or someone was a MD, i'm sure they'd be willing to help if you asked. You're making it seem kind of callous.

Second, as someone else mentioned above...most likely the MD's have forgotten nearly everything required for the mcat. Most people forget it after a few weeks! There's no need to remember physics or organic chemistry so likely they won't even know. Probably the only thing they could help you out with is their tips for study habits or something along those lines.

So if I was an inspiring physician or surgeon, I would have no need to remember organic chemistry or physics throughout my doctorate career? Are there some M.D. that would actually use Organic chemistry or physics?

So if I was an inspiring physician or surgeon, I would have no need to remember organic chemistry or physics throughout my doctorate career? Are there some M.D. that would actually use Organic chemistry or physics?

yeah sure there are some but the vast majority wont. do you remember everything from say.....high school math? doubt it.

The fact is that in medicine whatever we learn in med school other than the basics will become stale pretty quickly, i.e., if within 10 years we are not up-to-date with acquiring new knowledge and skills, we will likely be pretty useless. What do you remember from what you learned in elementary and high school? If you were a surgeon, you would be learning and remembering state of the art skills in surgery and organic chem or physics would be quite useless in saving a life in the OR. Just my 2 cents worth.

you're wasting a valuable resource. the physician will be more useful regarding their insight into why you want to be a doctor, the process of becoming a doctor, the job itself, etc. the best resources for MCAT prep are your books, fellow mcat-takers, and that's about it.

you're wasting a valuable resource. the physician will be more useful regarding their insight into why you want to be a doctor, the process of becoming a doctor, the job itself, etc. the best resources for MCAT prep are your books, fellow mcat-takers, and that's about it.

Yeah, maybe I should ask my doctor some of those questions just to get an idea of why he became a doctor, etc.

A resident at the hospital I volunteered in gave me MCAT advise (I didn't ask). Then I realized he didn't score very high, nor did he need to since the bar was a lot lower back then. He was a bit surprised I was rewriting with a 31Q. :rolleyes:

What kind of position is he pursuing?

Archived