Premed 101 Forums

How would I classify these on the sketch? (and some general sketch questions)

Hey everyone,

I did a search but nothing really answered my question: How should I / would you classify these?

I have a bunch of certifications (such as being a Standard First Aid Instructor, being a Bronze Cross Examiner, etc...) - how would I classify these? I have them as "Awards and Accomplishments" because that is where they fit into the best (IMO), but they aren't quite Awards or Accomplishments though

I graduated Summa Cum Laude, should I put this as an A/A? To me, it is a huge accomplishment

---

And just some general questions.

Did you put your high school under formal education, or is that to be left out?

And I played and took formal piano lessons from childhood until I was around 18. Should this be formal education? BEcause I was formally educated.

---

And the last one, which probably has been asked by many, but I'll put in here anyway, how many items do you guys have and what are the distribution of your items?

So far, I have 43 items:

4 formal education (2 uni's, high school, and piano lessons)

7 employment (I've held many positions with the same employer, as well as a couple of other employment opportunities)

5 volunteer (2 really long term ones)

11 EC's (seems like a lot, but I do a lot outside of school as well, and with the year off I've had time to do other things I never had time for before

14 Awards/Accomplishments (majority of them are certifications/recertifications with various organizations)

2 Research (1 poster presentation and 1 in-process publication, eventhough I'm not supposed to put it in there :) )

--

thanks for all the help :D

Hi Shannn, intersting questions. I put under Formal Education my 130 hr Red cross Course and CPR certification. However, I have my piano, ballet, horse riding under ECs. I have taken ballet and piano for at least ten years, serious training/education in both - you have me thinking now wherther I should switch? I haver only put under Awards and Accomplishments, my competitive awards, although do I put Dean's List under that heading? I am a qualified EMS 911 call responder to trauma situations, I have saved lives and handled many medical emergencies with about 400-500 hours experience, but I only put EMS as an EC, I don't see it as a fit in Awards and Accomplishments. I guess you can put your certifications under Accomplishments, you sure won't be penalized for so doing, you now have my rethinking it, perhaps this too is part of Fromal Education. High School is under Formal Edcuation. Yes, put Summa Cum Laude under Awards and Accomplishments. The number of items is irrelevant, about 34 incl formal education, etc.

really, people put high school education on the autobio? is this common? i never even thought of it, but now i'm thinking maybe it should go on... it's on my resume...

@futuredoc: care to share any of your experience in which you saved lives? that's amazing

Hi Shannn, intersting questions. I put under Formal Education my 130 hr Red cross Course and CPR certification. However, I have my piano, ballet, horse riding under ECs. I have taken ballet and piano for at least ten years, serious training/education in both - you have me thinking now wherther I should switch? I haver only put under Awards and Accomplishments, my competitive awards, although do I put Dean's List under that heading? I am a qualified EMS 911 call responder to trauma situations, I have saved lives and handled many medical emergencies with about 400-500 hours experience, but I only put EMS as an EC, I don't see it as a fit in Awards and Accomplishments. I guess you can put your certifications under Accomplishments, you sure won't be penalized for so doing, you now have my rethinking it, perhaps this too is part of Fromal Education. High School is under Formal Edcuation. Yes, put Summa Cum Laude under Awards and Accomplishments. The number of items is irrelevant, about 34 incl formal education, etc.

Nice, thanks for the insight.

Yea, I was thinking of putting Piano under EC's, but like you said, it is actual formal education.

I put my membership on the Dean's List as Awards and Accomplishments, then said I needed to achieve a high GPA to get on it (or something to that extent)

I think in the end (just IMO), as long as we can justify putting what we put down, it'll be fine.

Thanks for the quick response :D

and be invited to med school:p

We both sound like great candidates and if truth be told, we are run of the mill decent candidates who need luck to win that lottery ticket. We are only qualified to apply for the ticket at this stage.:mad:

We'll get in, I know we will :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived