Premed 101 Forums

EK 101 for VR

shestheman

The EK 101 passages seem to be very close to the MCAT. I scored very closely on all the AAMC practice mcats to how I did in the EK book. If anything, the EK is a tiny bit harder, which is really nice.

Wish I could say I scored similarily on the MCAT, for some reason, I didn't do that well on the VR.

But I can't say enough good things about the EK 101 verbal book. Great prep, 110% worth the money.

Hey all,

this is mainly for those who have already received their scores: if you used EK 101 to prepare for VR, how did your scores on those tests compare to those on the real MCAT?

I used UK 101 and wrote the exam on 17th july. ON EK I kept getting 7's and an occasional 8. Really really demoralizing..I mustve cried so many times too...but on the real deal I ended up getting 10. EK passages are generally interesting, as were the passages on the real deal for me. However, I think EK's curve is too stringent, but the real test has a flexible curve...

so if youre not doing that well on the EK, dont let that get to you...practise everything that comes your way, tell yorself you love the passages, and do VR on the test day with the confidence that you have practised to the best of your ability.

Best of luck!!:) :)

I'm taking the MCAT September 4th, and I'm currently using the old version of EK 101 (60 questions/test). Some of the questions really piss me off though, because they are poorly argued and some have unforgivable grammar. My AAMC Verbal average is ~1-2 points higher than my EK 101 test averages for that reason (so I think ...)

there are only 40 questions but its graded out of 60 on the conversion scale...how does that then translate...sorry if i'm missing some glaring math conversion.

I'm just adjusting their grading scale by 2/3 to account for that (so just multiply by 2/3 roughly)

Yes they at one point posted a new scale on their website but it was just basically 2/3 the old one in most cases.

I've found that EK is the closest of the test prep companies to simulating the real thing. However the AAMC practice test verbals are even better.

I average about a 10 on EK and an 11 on the AAMC's.... I find despite EK having what seems like simpler passages, they have more accompanying questions that take some abstract reasoning to get. I find a few questions like that on the AAMC's but EK seems to have way more of them. I find some of the time I'll look at the answer and still disagree with EK.

With both EK and AAMC take note the the real MCAT seems to have longer passages now. When I wrote it in 2006 the verbal was identical to the AAMC practice tests. When I wrote in 2008 each passages felt like it was a paragraph or two longer which makes a surprising difference. Whether this trend keeps up I can't be sure but if you read the SDN reactions a lot of people will mention verbal was lengthier than usual.

hey guys, for those of you who have been consistent in getting VR 10 or above (on AAMC, EK or -better yet- your own test) i had a few questions

a) how are you tackling the passage? ie general skim noting the purpose, eg., tone or reading the entire passage and not going back to it (EK strategy) because you have really good short term memory/photographic memory, something else? I've tried the general skim and the straight read through but my accuracy is the same (2-3, shockingly 4 wrong) so my scores are poop-**** :(

B) are you doing all the passages? the TPR method is 'skip the killer' and my instructor said 'go with your flow; if in the allotted time you end up missing 2 passages, make sure you make the rest count' I'm stuck in a deep rut with VR and find that if I've done a passage once and looked at the analysis/answer, I can't go back and do it again because my silly memory remembers the 'right' answer (too bad it can't memorize the passage :rolleyes: )

c) have you figured pre-set times for your pace ie by 53 min, finish passage 1; by 45 min, passage 2, etc.

signed, down-in-the-dumps

hey guys, for those of you who have been consistent in getting VR 10 or above (on AAMC, EK or -better yet- your own test) i had a few questions

a) how are you tackling the passage? ie general skim noting the purpose, eg., tone or reading the entire passage and not going back to it (EK strategy) because you have really good short term memory/photographic memory, something else? I've tried the general skim and the straight read through but my accuracy is the same (2-3, shockingly 4 wrong) so my scores are poop-**** :(

B) are you doing all the passages? the TPR method is 'skip the killer' and my instructor said 'go with your flow; if in the allotted time you end up missing 2 passages, make sure you make the rest count' I'm stuck in a deep rut with VR and find that if I've done a passage once and looked at the analysis/answer, I can't go back and do it again because my silly memory remembers the 'right' answer (too bad it can't memorize the passage :rolleyes: )

c) have you figured pre-set times for your pace ie by 53 min, finish passage 1; by 45 min, passage 2, etc.

I also took the TPR course, and strongly strongly disagree with that strategy!! I find it insane that they would recommend that you skip an entire passage, which equates to a possibility of up to 5-7 questions wrong, and assuming that you scored perfect on all the questions before, you would still end up with a max of 12(?). I don't know, that's just my two cents as it's my weakness and feel so depressed and hopeless with it, despite doing tons of practice.

For me I found reading the passage 2x and the going to the answers and working on them was the best way. I think its hard to time per question, I found doing a passage and timing myself to assess how much time I was spending on doing the passage at a comfortable pace and then adjusting my speed was the best strategy for me.

Best of luck!

I also took the TPR course, and strongly strongly disagree with that strategy!! I find it insane that they would recommend that you skip an entire passage, which equates to a possibility of up to 5-7 questions wrong, and assuming that you scored perfect on all the questions before, you would still end up with a max of 12(?). I don't know, that's just my two cents as it's my weakness and feel so depressed and hopeless with it, despite doing tons of practice.

they really recommend that approach? On the face of things that approach does seem insane to me. Leaving a hard passage to the end perhaps, but skipping one completely seems really risky.

Archived