Premed 101 Forums

Does a medically relevant pre-med increase your chances?

st8ic

I've tried searching this question, but found nothing.

I would like to start a pre-med degree, and I was wondering if your choice of degree influences your ability to get into med school. For instance, would someone with a degree in computer science have the same chances as someone with a degree in immunology?

I've tried searching this question, but found nothing.

I would like to start a pre-med degree, and I was wondering if your choice of degree influences your ability to get into med school.

No.

For instance, would someone with a degree in computer science have the same chances as someone with a degree in immunology?
Yes.

As long as you take the pre-reqs required for med school application (Biochem, Bio, Chem, Physics, English, OChem, etc) you can apply/be accepted with any undergrad degree. The list of prereqs can be found on the schools' websites. I assume you're still in high school, so my advise would be to do a degree/take classes that you're interested in. The first thing most med schools look at is GPA. So, don't take a degree just because you think it's a good "pre-med" degree, because you likely won't do as well as you would if you did something that you were interested in.

I would suggest however taking something that you are good at, taking courses in order and not taking higher level courses before you're ready (no third year classes in second year) so as to preserve a good GPA. I wish someone would have told me not to take challenging courses for the enjoyment of the challenge. I loved the courses, but some of them killed my GPA.

I disagree somewhat with the previous posters - I think a medically-related degree can help, but if it's a professional one (paramedic, nurse, PT, etc), because it gives you lots of clinical experience. If we're talking about sciences that are more medically related (e.g. immuno) vs less (e.g. botany), then I agree that it doesn't matter.

Thanks for the replies!

I assume you're still in high school

Actually I am a few years out of high school, just looking to get into medicine now. I wish I had seen this opportunity while I was in high school - I would have taken different courses.

Do you think that a degree in immunology would give a person a head start when it comes to med school curriculum? I am considering psychology as well, but I think it would be nice to do a pre-med that prepares me as much as a pre-med can.

It doesn't matter what degree you have, but I think having an immunology degree over botany or arts would be beneficial because it is very important for med school. Would you rather struggle with the concepts during undergrad or med school. I prefer the former.

Archived