Premed 101 Forums

Good "crossover" electives

Hi,

I'm in interested in pursuing either a career in cardiology (IM sub specialty) or anesthesiology. As my school has elective diversification requirements I would greatly appreciate any advice on electives that are "applicable" to IM and/or anesthesia.

For instance, I've heard good things about ICU/EM as being relevant to anesthesia.

Thanks in advance!

If you are interested in anaesthesia, good complimentary non-anaesthesia electives might include cardiology, respirology, ENT and ICU.

If you are interested in cardiology, good complimentary non-medicine electives might include anaesthesia, cardiac surgery and ICU.

Just some thoughts...

Kate

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i'm in the same boat as you. spoke with a residency training person last night and they suggested ICU, trauma surgery and ER as good rotations for anesthesia as they require quick thinking and employ a lot of the same skills. peds has also been suggested, as has general internal as it requires a good base knowledge of medicine. resp/cardio would also be good x-overs

good luck!

i've had the same question...in theory, no. depends on if you're with one preceptor for the entire week, or with multiple preceptors. i find it somewhat wierd that U of A has a 1 week max, whereas UBC is 4 weeks (for greater Van area)...crazy. UofA doesn't require an onsite elective though...something to consider.

Archived