Premed 101 Forums

Applying to U of S

im pretty sure you cant actually... I had a friend who couldnt apply in 2nd year because, although he was at the U of S for undergrad, he was considered OOP and apparently you have to have all your pre reqs done by december of the year you are applying (which meant that he still had one biochem to go). So unless you finish all your pre reqs by december, you will have to wait till 3rd year like he did. I also remember reading in the applicant information section something about how if you're in province, your current year will be taken into account (for your two year average) whereas if you are out of province it will not. Check the website just in case though

im pretty sure you cant actually... I had a friend who couldnt apply in 2nd year because, although he was at the U of S for undergrad, he was considered OOP and apparently you have to have all your pre reqs done by december of the year you are applying (which meant that he still had one biochem to go). So unless you finish all your pre reqs by december, you will have to wait till 3rd year like he did. I also remember reading in the applicant information section something about how if you're in province, your current year will be taken into account (for your two year average) whereas if you are out of province it will not. Check the website just in case though

I applied during 2nd year, but I am IP. I believe you have to be IP to be able to count your current year. If you are OOP, you need to be done 2 years already. And I did not have all my pre-reqs done by december. I took my second biochem in second semester.

I thought USask removed pre-reqs and just required a MCAT for OOP students?

3. MCAT Only Requirement.

Minimum MCAT requirements are accumulated score of 26 in the Biological Science, Physical Science, and Verbal Reasoning Sections (with no section below 8) and N in the Writing Sample Section. Scores must be obtained in one sitting prior to the application deadline and current within the last 5 years (earliest accepted scores for 2010 entry are April 2005). The maximum number of times an applicant may take the MCAT is 5 times (additional sittings will not be accepted unless preapproved in writing by the Admissions Office, College of Medicine). While prerequisites are not mandatory for students applying under the “MCAT Only” requirement, applicants are strongly encouraged to complete equivalent/similar courses (particularly the biochemistry courses) to ensure readiness for the basic sciences covered in the first two years of the undergraduate medical curriculum. (http://www.medicine.usask.ca/education/admissions/admissions-information/academic-requirements/'>http://www.medicine.usask.ca/education/admissions/admissions-information/academic-requirements/)

And yes, you need to have completed 2 years before applying.

A side note... I was reading through their admissions site and saw this:

As the only medical school in Saskatchewan, the College of Medicine at the University of Saskatchewan has a responsibility to serve the residents of the province. As such, 90% of first year seats are reserved for Saskatchewan residents. As well, to increase the number of Aboriginal physicians, 10% of first year seats are available for qualified, self-identified First Nations, Métis, and Inuit students through our Aboriginal Equity Program. (http://www.medicine.usask.ca/education/admissions)

90% Sask residents

10% Aboriginal

0% OOP?? :(

As the only medical school in Saskatchewan, the College of Medicine at the University of Saskatchewan has a responsibility to serve the residents of the province. As such, 90% of first year seats are reserved for Saskatchewan residents. As well, to increase the number of Aboriginal physicians, 10% of first year seats are available for qualified, self-identified First Nations, Métis, and Inuit students through our Aboriginal Equity Program. (http://www.medicine.usask.ca/education/admissions)

90% Sask residents

10% Aboriginal

0% OOP?? :(

LOL yeah I read that and I was like um...so where do the OOPs fall in?

Hey you guys, is the application for U of S straight forward? I couldn't believe it. They send you the reference letter forms at the time of interview offer. So it looks like one would simply have to finish the online application, and send it in? (for OOPs)?? I would appreciate the feedback :o

Hey you guys, is the application for U of S straight forward? I couldn't believe it. They send you the reference letter forms at the time of interview offer. So it looks like one would simply have to finish the online application, and send it in? (for OOPs)?? I would appreciate the feedback :o

yup (10 char)

Bragger... lol

So I don't get it. If 90% of 1st year seats (54 seats.. assuming that 6 seats is 10%) are for IP Sask residents and 10% of first year seats are for Aboriginal.. seriously.. where does OOP fit in??

Yeah I am not sure how those numbers work at all. Clearly somethings is off - they do accept OOP!

and yeah the application was by far the most painless app I had to complete. If only the others ones were so easy. Pretty friendly, and supportive school in general - but I have a soft spot for U of S :)

i believe that this is how it works

90% of the 84 seats are for IP

10% of the 84 seats are for aboriginal...this can either come out of the IP or OOP pool.

i think the OOP seats is still 6 at the moment, i believe they are debating whether to increase the amount of OOP seats with the increasing number of spots (100 in 2011) to 8 OOP seats.

I applied during 2nd year, but I am IP. I believe you have to be IP to be able to count your current year. If you are OOP, you need to be done 2 years already. And I did not have all my pre-reqs done by december. I took my second biochem in second semester.

ya sorry if i wasnt clear in my post, i was talking about out of province applicants when i said ur pre reqs have to be done by december... and also about the 2 years having to be done

Bragger... lol

So I don't get it. If 90% of 1st year seats (54 seats.. assuming that 6 seats is 10%) are for IP Sask residents and 10% of first year seats are for Aboriginal.. seriously.. where does OOP fit in??

haha ya the u of s cant do math i think... so basically, of the 84 seats, 9 are aboriginal seats, and 6 are out of province. For the current med 1 year, only 3 OOP seats and 5 aboriginal seats were filled, so the remaining 3 OOP and 4 aboriginal were put back to the IP pool (which was 69 seats) so theres 76 IP i guess for this year

Archived