Premed 101 Forums

Health Sciences vs. Biomedical Sciences

I am really having difficulty choosing between Health Sciences programs (McMaster, Western, Brock) and Biomedical Sciences (Western, Brock).

1) What is the main difference between these programs?

2) Is one relatively easier than the other?

From what I've seen, McMaster Health Sciences courses includes (1st yr):

Inquiry

Psychobiology

Cellular and Molecular Systems and Practicum in Health Sciences

Collaboration and Peer Tutoring*

Introductory Chemistry I

Introductory Chemistry II

---

I see Chem/Bio, does this well prepare you for the MCAT? I guess things like Physics and Organic Chemistry will have to be chosen as your electives, right?

Thanks all!

Mac and Western Health sciences are drastically different.

Western renamed the program Health studies to show it doesn't have as much of a science emphasis.

Western Biomed science - is directed more towards pure science.

Mac Health Sci - More health focused science

Western Health Studies - More of a focus on subjective look at health

(ie: Communications, Ethics, Models of Health)

This is a very very rough and broad interpretation of the program focuses. You can read much more in depth interpretation of the programs on their respective websites.

I can't comment on either program at Brock not knowing myself.

In any program if you make an effort you'll be able to come across your pre-requisites for the MCAT and applying to the U.S. but it would be much easier to do in a more science-y program.

As for ease... if you did a basic search of the Mac Health Science program on this forum, you'd realize by asking if any of these programs are easier than the other and including Mac Health Science in the list is an invitation for a giant flame war between those in the program and those who don't like their class averages. So don't think that way.

You can get the grades you need to get into medicine in any of those programs above. Choose one the fits your strengths and interests. Do a search on these programs on pm101 as I know for sure the Western and Mac programs have been discussed before.

Mac and Western Health sciences are drastically different.

Western renamed the program Health studies to show it doesn't have as much of a science emphasis.

Western Biomed science - is directed more towards pure science.

Mac Health Sci - More health focused science

Western Health Studies - More of a focus on subjective look at health

(ie: Communications, Ethics, Models of Health)

This is a very very rough and broad interpretation of the program focuses. You can read much more in depth interpretation of the programs on their respective websites.

I can't comment on either program at Brock not knowing myself.

In any program if you make an effort you'll be able to come across your pre-requisites for the MCAT and applying to the U.S. but it would be much easier to do in a more science-y program.

As for ease... if you did a basic search of the Mac Health Science program on this forum, you'd realize by asking if any of these programs are easier than the other and including Mac Health Science in the list is an invitation for a giant flame war between those in the program and those who don't like their class averages. So don't think that way.

You can get the grades you need to get into medicine in any of those programs above. Choose one the fits your strengths and interests. Do a search on these programs on pm101 as I know for sure the Western and Mac programs have been discussed before.

Wow, thanks for the very helpful post! You just confirmed some info I found on google and studentawards.com.

MCAT "required" courses are:

Physics, Chem, Biology and Organic Chemistry which you should have after two years in Biomedical I'm pretty sure.

Other classes that will help are Biochem, Genetics and Physiology among others and since at Western you need to meet your breadth requirement, I'd suggest you use an elective early to get your required art/social science credit and get some experience reading about art-sy related topics, which can't hurt for verbal.

So you should be good to go as early as summer after 2nd year.

• 2 weeks later...

The health studies course that you have mentioned you said it is not a science-y program which i understand because i am currently taking the health studies course at laurier. Even though it doesn't matter what you major in to get into Med school, it does matter how well you do on the mcat. Therefore if one were to take this program which has no sciences at all, would it not just hinder their chances at being successful when taking or studying for the MCAT due to lack of 1st and 2nd year science courses? If this is not the case, please tell me what you or anyone has majored in and how the studied for the MCAT without the science courses mentioned above.

Other than bio and physiology which I had courses in...

I used princeton materials to learn Chem, physics and Orgo....

However, that was an extremely tough task and wouldn't recommend it.

At Western, you can use your electives in first year to get most of the science done.... you only need to do Health Sci 1000 and Bio 1000 in first year. So you could take Chem and Physics as well.... and then do Orgo in your second year or in intersession during the summer between 1st and 2nd year so it doesn't hurt your GPA.

So it can be done.

Other than bio and physiology which I had courses in...

I used princeton materials to learn Chem, physics and Orgo....

However, that was an extremely tough task and wouldn't recommend it.

At Western, you can use your electives in first year to get most of the science done.... you only need to do Health Sci 1000 and Bio 1000 in first year. So you could take Chem and Physics as well.... and then do Orgo in your second year or in intersession during the summer between 1st and 2nd year so it doesn't hurt your GPA.

So it can be done.

Interesting, very interesting. The first year you are referring to is from the western health studies program right?

• 3 weeks later...

If med school is your goal, choosing the mcmaster health sciences program is a no brainer. You'll work hard, but you pretty much are guaranteed a near 4.0 gpa unless you really screw up and admission to medical school. There is no better guarantee to medicine in the country. And to top it off, the head of the program and professors are basically at your beck and call, and you can self mark in many cases (A+s anyone). Tons of them at my med school, and from what I hear, tons at UofT and Mcmaster as well.

Archived