Premed 101 Forums

What to do?

bro2k7

Hey,

I just moved to montreal from another province and plan on living here for a while to become a QC resident before applying for med at Mcgill. So I will be applying next year for admission in 2011. I have a Bachelors in Microbiology but no experience at all.

The problem is, I don't really have people I can ask for references from. I can ask my boss from my old job back home but that's all. I won't be able to get a letter from a prof either since none of them really knew me and plus, I will be out of school for a while. So I need to get to know some people who could be potential referees for me.

What are the best options for me? If I volunteer at one place for a while, that may be good. But what else can I do to find someone to write a reference? I want to use the year I have before applying as well as I can.

Thanks everyone.

Look around for work and experience!

Applying for a masters at McGill or Concordia may be a good option.

That's probably how best to use the year.

Start looking around for labs to join.

Volunteering at the Montreal General or Royal Vic are a must as well.

Do some work with some aid agency in the city if you don't want more school.

thanks for the ideas bonydoc, but you are right, I don't want to go back to school just yet, plus I don't think I can if I want to become a resident of QC.

I will definitely start volunteering at a hospital. Working with an aid agency sounds awesome too.

But could you tell me, how does one go about finding a lab job? I have pretty much zero experience in the field and don't really have good contacts in the city since I'm new here.

Hey,

I just moved to montreal from another province and plan on living here for a while to become a QC resident before applying for med at Mcgill. So I will be applying next year for admission in 2011. I have a Bachelors in Microbiology but no experience at all.

The problem is, I don't really have people I can ask for references from. I can ask my boss from my old job back home but that's all. I won't be able to get a letter from a prof either since none of them really knew me and plus, I will be out of school for a while. So I need to get to know some people who could be potential referees for me.

What are the best options for me? If I volunteer at one place for a while, that may be good. But what else can I do to find someone to write a reference? I want to use the year I have before applying as well as I can.

Thanks everyone.

Okay, you cannot go to school this year if you intend to become a Que resident. You will need MCAT b/c you did not graduate form a Quebec university. But, you get to bein the larger IP pool of applicants.

Here is what I suggest. Phone City of Cote St Luc (it is located in Montreal) asnd ask for volunteering. Tell them you want to join their EMS Volunteering. Once you have taken the Red Cross Course and CPR course, you will be good to go. They may have a course starting soon, at nights, but it will take a long time. The i ntensive 2-3 week course is only given in summer. However, Red Cross may have these co urses elsewhere, either in QU or ON, and you want to take the "intensive" one - so that you become qualifiede to start doing EMS asap. You will be responding to 911 emergency calls. You start off as a trainee. Being a fulltime student, I do not have the time you haver but I have over 659 hours in EMS. Therofre, I will be receiving an excellent reference from them for med school. There is the MINI-MEDS program at Montreal Children's Hospital, call, ask for volunteering and join, there is STEP at Royal Victoria Hospital. PM me if you need further ideas. The hkey is you want to start responding to EMS calls soon and you will likely need to find an intensive Red Cross Course somewhere else, so you can start doing EMS.

• 3 weeks later...

Volunteering at the Montreal General or Royal Vic are a must as well.

The Jewish General Hospital is always looking for volunteers too, especially through Hope & Cope.

And honestly, when I first was trying to find a lab job, all I did was go to the McGill Biochemistry webpage and email all the professors on the list. Eventually one of them took me.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I really appreciate it. I do regret not getting to know any profs when I was in school and this will definitely majorly hurt my chances of getting in. But I will try nonetheless.

And honestly, when I first was trying to find a lab job, all I did was go to the McGill Biochemistry webpage and email all the professors on the list. Eventually one of them took me.

Yes, this is what I am doing now but I am having no luck at all! Maybe it's my lack of experience.

• 2 weeks later...

You are right futuredoc. I actually did get invited to meet with someone so I'm crossing my fingers for that. If it doesn't work out, at least I know I can try somewhere else.

I was wondering, how do such lab jobs pay?? About how much an hour?? Is the work full time or part time?? I need to think about such things too as I am having some financial problems.

Archived