Premed 101 Forums

Probably longest person to finish first HBSC

Wookie

Hey community,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I browsed through a lot of the threads/posts and I only found a few people who may be in a similar situation as myself (i.e. Djdoc).

I'm basically planning on graduating in 7 years (including this Sept-April) from my Honours BSc program.

My first few years, I was on probation and switching courses and programs a lot. In addition, I was coming from a single parent family and my mother got cancer (took semester off).

During my fifth year, I decided that I want to go into medicine (due to personal experiences, volunteering overseas, etc). But I've realized that marks are such a huge factor in the first cutoff.

So I decided to concentrate on repairing my senior marks (hoping to apply to UOttawa, UWO, Queen's, Dalhousie).

I was praying that my sixth year and this year coming up with help seal the deal for meeting the first cutoff. However I just got my marks not to long ago and my sixth year gpa = 3.69.

I was wondering if I should just TRY to obtain a 3.9 this year, graduate and come back as a non-degree student for one year. Or should I just prolong my graduation even more (to include that 'special year')?

Since, I am from Ontario and SWOMEN and I have a competitive MCAT score (12,12,11,S) I was thinking that if I graduate with a 3.9 this year, I might have a shot at Queen's and Western (UWO conditional acceptance pending I take the special year during the 2010 app cycle).

Thanks for reading and I thank anyone in advance for responding.

I don't know if you can prolong your graduation any more... I remember reading somewhere on one of the med school sites that they expect you to finish your degree in the regular alotted time (ie 4 years). So you might want to actually email admissions of some of the schools you're interested in first before extending your degree another 1 or 2 years.

Archived