Premed 101 Forums

Advice Much Appreciated

Hi There,

I'm feeling pretty down about the fact I got no interview invites this previous cycle (Mac, UofT, Queens, Western, Ottawa). I'd really appreciate advice on where people believe I should improve my application.

I have completed my degree at UWO with a 3.9 overall GPA with all years between 3.85-3.94.

I applied while in third year to Mac, had an interview and got waitlisted.

I wrote my MCAT that summer so I could apply more broadly in Ontario and scored P7 V10 B10 WQ. With these I applied throughout Ontario and received nothing--I'm guessing it was a lot to do with the PS!

I've just written my MCAT again this summer, and for this cycle I scored:

P9 V11 B12 WO. I'm pretty upset about the O, and really don't see how I could have done so poorly on something I'm usually strong in. ARG!

Currently, I am doing an MSc and have pretty good research and volunteer experience.

Anyways, is it hopeless for me? Should I bother applying to Ontario schools this year? Or am I not going to cut it and waste a lot of money?

Thank you for any help! :o

Hi There,

I'm feeling pretty down about the fact I got no interview invites this previous cycle (Mac, UofT, Queens, Western, Ottawa). I'd really appreciate advice on where people believe I should improve my application.

I have completed my degree at UWO with a 3.9 overall GPA with all years between 3.85-3.94.

I applied while in third year to Mac, had an interview and got waitlisted.

I wrote my MCAT that summer so I could apply more broadly in Ontario and scored P7 V10 B10 WQ. With these I applied throughout Ontario and received nothing--I'm guessing it was a lot to do with the PS!

I've just written my MCAT again this summer, and for this cycle I scored:

P9 V11 B12 WO. I'm pretty upset about the O, and really don't see how I could have done so poorly on something I'm usually strong in. ARG!

Currently, I am doing an MSc and have pretty good research and volunteer experience.

Anyways, is it hopeless for me? Should I bother applying to Ontario schools this year? Or am I not going to cut it and waste a lot of money?

Thank you for any help! :o

Hi there! Sounds like you are just getting hung up on that MCAT Monster that smacks so many people around. You have an excellent GPA, gaining solid research opportunities on top of what ever you already have, and you mention you are hitting the volunteer stuff as well.

It also sounds like you are improving on the mcat as well! Your scores in all sections except WS went up last time - a 5 point total improvement, that is quite good! You probably just had an off day with the WS as you had a Q on the first time.

Bottom line is keep improving on the MCAT and rewrite it next year (you can do it three times a year next time - whatever it takes - until you hit your cut offs. Your are quite close already). Not fun of course, don't want to sound like taking the test is trivial but you are almost there :)

And this apply again to Mac, and probably Ottawa. You could get interviews I think with what you have right now! You already did at MAC in the past.

best of luck!

I would absolutely apply to Mac and Ottawa again like RMorlean suggested.

It's always a bit of a crapshoot but if you were able to get an interview in 3rd year... now that Mac is asking for VR and you have an 11 I would say you're more competitive than you were in the past...

Just rock those questions!

Best of luck.

Archived