Premed 101 Forums

Student Loans for 2nd Undergrad?

Hey all,

I'm going into my fourth year this year. I didn't initially go to university with the intention of going into medicine, so I'm majoring in something non-science related (Humanities) and I haven't taken any of the prereqs at all. However, I have a decent sciences background from HS (AP physics, calc, chemistry, bio). I didn't really apply myself the first time 'round due to a combination of maturity issues/low self-esteem/depression, so my GPA isn't too hot (3.4ish) and I have no significant ECs or research experience. Anyway, I have a couple of questions:

1) Is it possible to get student loans for a second undergraduate? I only took out about 5k for my first degree.

2) What are some good jobs that a college student could do that would give them clnical exposure as well as $$$?

3)How do you talk to professors to get good LORs for med school? I'm not a particularly articulate person, so I get the sense that I come off as dumb and a bit awkward to others.

1. I think you have a lifetime maximum amount, not a degree specific amount. I know my sister went to school for undergrad for 7 years and got loans every year.

2. The field of developmental disabilities is always hiring and you are exposed to everything from personal care (changing attends, showering, brushing teeth) to being involved in g-tube feeding, bahavioural management programs, working with health care teams like doctors, ot and pt and homecare nurses. As an added bonus since they need care 24/7 there are lots of flexible hours in the field and you can usually work it around your classes. The agency I work with even has asleep night positions that many students love.

3. You can volunteer in their labs, meet with them outside of class, go to the study groups offered, take field courses where you are one of very few students, if you are an upper division student you can become a ta or marker in a lot of lower division courses (this depends on your school though). There are lots of options, you just have to be proactive about it.

There is a limit to OSAP but it is something like 300 weeks of school. Thats a lot :) You would be fine for that obviously with only 5k taken out.

Summer NSERC positions are pretty good I would say. Also gives you a chance to get to know a prof and therefore you would like be less flustered when asking for a letter of reference.

Lots of people get a little awkward when talking to professors etc. Basically it just takes practice. May sound a bit silly but getting better at dealing with a professor will help you on the interview side of things later on - which obviously isn't an easy process for many and probably blocks a lot of people from ultimately getting in.

Hey all,

I'm going into my fourth year this year. I didn't initially go to university with the intention of going into medicine, so I'm majoring in something non-science related (Humanities) and I haven't taken any of the prereqs at all. However, I have a decent sciences background from HS (AP physics, calc, chemistry, bio). I didn't really apply myself the first time 'round due to a combination of maturity issues/low self-esteem/depression, so my GPA isn't too hot (3.4ish) and I have no significant ECs or research experience. Anyway, I have a couple of questions:

1) Is it possible to get student loans for a second undergraduate? I only took out about 5k for my first degree.

2) What are some good jobs that a college student could do that would give them clnical exposure as well as $$$?

3)How do you talk to professors to get good LORs for med school? I'm not a particularly articulate person, so I get the sense that I come off as dumb and a bit awkward to others.

Thanks, guys. :)

fyi I live in BC so I'm not really sure what the restrictions on loans here are.

How difficult is it to get an NSERC, how high does your GPA have to be in order to be comeptitive? I was also wondering if there are other non-NSERC research grants available to undergraduates?

Also, is it possible to take a couple of summer courses (hard sciences) while doing NSERC?

fyi I live in BC so I'm not really sure what the restrictions on loans here are.

How difficult is it to get an NSERC, how high does your GPA have to be in order to be comeptitive? I was also wondering if there are other non-NSERC research grants available to undergraduates?

Also, is it possible to take a couple of summer courses (hard sciences) while doing NSERC?

I have friend who did a couple of science courses in the summer with NSERC - worked ok for them. Generally you need a nice A average for the summer things, but generally med students are aiming for that sort of thing anyway :)

I'm in BC too and like I said my sister did undergrad for 7 years getting loans every year, so I'm pretty sure you're in the clear.

Hey all,

Other thoughts:

1) Try to get your BC government student loan. In a worst-case scenario, student LOCs through the major banks are fine. You do have to pay interest on the student LOC amount, while you are in-school.

2) Why not volunteer somewhere that might lead to a job? Ask around.

3) Just ask. Be polite and respectful. The worst they could say is "no", in which case you go ask a different professor, haha!

Good luck!

I am glad to find your site - now I know what a good one looks like.

Very good topic to share with us. Great info.:o

• 2 weeks later...

Weird, I thought someone asked this exact question like.. a week ago. haha

1. Anyways, no, OSAP only cares really about your credit. If you've been defaulting on loans or went bankrupt then you'll have a problem getting OSAP. It's probably to your benefit that you already completed your degree because I'm assuming that means you've been out of high school now for 4 years which makes you eligible to apply as an independent. Independents receive more higher OSAP loans and their parents' income aren't used against them. Just your own income is looked at.

With that said, OSAP does consider your academic performance once you're in school. Namely if you get put on academic probation or suspension.

2. Err.. clinical experience.. =/

3. Do damn well in their course. Or you could go the suck up route and just keep harassing your prof after class every class by asking questions like so many other pre-meds do.

Weird, I thought someone asked this exact question like.. a week ago. haha

1. Anyways, no, OSAP only cares really about your credit. If you've been defaulting on loans or went bankrupt then you'll have a problem getting OSAP. It's probably to your benefit that you already completed your degree because I'm assuming that means you've been out of high school now for 4 years which makes you eligible to apply as an independent. Independents receive more higher OSAP loans and their parents' income aren't used against them. Just your own income is looked at.

With that said, OSAP does consider your academic performance once you're in school. Namely if you get put on academic probation or suspension.

2. Err.. clinical experience.. =/

3. Do damn well in their course. Or you could go the suck up route and just keep harassing your prof after class every class by asking questions like so many other pre-meds do.

Does OSAP only look at income or savings too?

Does OSAP only look at income or savings too?

Both.

Although from what I can tell, they have no real way of checking your savings. They ask you to provide a bank statement. Not really much stopping you from withdrawing your cash and then printing it.

But then again with all those consent forms you have to sign to get OSAP approved I wouldn't be too surprised if one of them gave OSAP permission to check into your banking history and probably extract organs out of you if they so please. =/

• 4 months later...
1. I think you have a lifetime maximum amount, not a degree specific amount. I know my sister went to school for undergrad for 7 years and got loans every year.

2. The field of developmental disabilities is always hiring and you are exposed to everything from personal care (changing attends, showering, brushing teeth) to being involved in g-tube feeding, bahavioural management programs, working with health care teams like doctors, ot and pt and homecare nurses. As an added bonus since they need care 24/7 there are lots of flexible hours in the field and you can usually work it around your classes. The agency I work with even has asleep night positions that many students love.

3. You can volunteer in their labs, meet with them outside of class, go to the study groups offered, take field courses where you are one of very few students, if you are an upper division student you can become a ta or marker in a lot of lower division courses (this depends on your school though). There are lots of options, you just have to be proactive about it.

Which agency did you work for?

Both.

Although from what I can tell, they have no real way of checking your savings. They ask you to provide a bank statement. Not really much stopping you from withdrawing your cash and then printing it.

But then again with all those consent forms you have to sign to get OSAP approved I wouldn't be too surprised if one of them gave OSAP permission to check into your banking history and probably extract organs out of you if they so please. =/

they never even asked for that from me actually this year (random check?).

They also inquire about assets like a car for instance.

Archived